Skip to main content

An Amazing Birthday Month

Instead of celebrating my birthday for one day, I decided to get on board with the “celebrate your birthday for the whole month” trend and I have to say, it’s definitely something I’m on board with. My birthday was amazing! I wanted a nice, quiet, and peaceful brunch with my family, and I got that and more. We all ended up on the beach too, which was a wonderful surprise (as the beach is one of my favorite retreats) and a great way to celebrate. I highly recommend having birthday months and enjoying what makes them special for you too. How might one have an amazing birthday month? Keep reading…
Have A Birthday Photoshoot.
I enjoy taking pictures and last year I dabbled with doing a professional shoot for my birthday. This year, I thought it’d be fun to do again, and I loved the way my photos came together. I picked out a dress I felt beautiful and confident in, a simple pair of heels, got my hair done, did my makeup and just went for it. It’s cool being your own model for a day and what better day to do so than on your 
birthday? 
Eat Lots of Cake.
I workout and count calories, but sometimes, you have to indulge and, on my birthday, and throughout my birthday month, I decided to consume what I wanted for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It felt so good to not think about calories or working out for a day and having lots of cake. I got some cakes from Nothing Bundt Cakes and their cakes are delicious. If you’ve never had one, get one. Or two or three 😄
Celebrate With Cool People.
My family and close circle of friends are important to me. Being able to celebrate with them was a major blessing. If you’re able to, you should celebrate with cool people too. One of the reasons I wanted a low key birthday brunch was because I like being around people I’m comfortable being myself with. My family and friends allow me to be who I am and are cool to spend time with. Prioritize celebrating with cool people.
Enjoy Your Thoughtful Gifts & Experiences Too.
I like nice things, but I’m not a materialistic person. I’m definitely more into having memorable experiences (trips to the beach, live concerts, and touring art museums for example…) but this year I received some thoughtful gifts I’m enjoying. One was a coffee mug from my brother and my sister-in-law that was a refreshing reminder to keep exploring. I love it because it was a reminder to get ready for some traveling – which I’m really excited for. The other gifts were a sloth tote bag and some sloth drinking glasses I got from my mom. I even got a stuffed sloth animal too. Clearly, I have a thing for sloths. I think they’re adorable.  
Love Yo Self. 
Self-love and self-care are so important these days. And what better way to celebrate your birthday than loving yourself? You can’t possibly expect to like/love others until you love yourself first. I believe this is especially important for women. You set the stages for the kind of love you want and deserve and you, dear reader, deserve the best. Love yo self. You’re amazing! 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far