Skip to main content

Bachelorette Guide To Finding Community

Pursuing and maintaining adult friendships can have its challenges. For young women in different spaces and places in their lives, it may be easy making new friends and connections but what about those who find doing so challenging? Community is important, and while it can be tough to find sometimes, it’s not impossible. You just need a strategy and a willingness to be open and before you know it, you’ll find a tribe that compliments and enhances your vibes. How does one find community?

Say Yes. I know what to say no to and I’m all about setting healthy boundaries, but if you desire community and friendship with others, you need to say yes sometimes. I’ve said yes to things I didn’t always feel like doing and ended up meeting new people and having unforgettable experiences in the process. If I went to an event with a friend, I ended up meeting more of my friend’s friends and my circle started to grow. I have different friends I do brunch with, workout with, socialize with, and two to three close friends I can trust and confide in that I keep in touch with on a regular basis. Say yes sometimes. 

Goodbye Comfort Zone. If you want to find community, you have to be willing to ditch your comfort zone. I and almost all the people I’ve ever met or that I’m now connected with, were able to connect once I decided to step out more. This wasn’t and sometimes still isn’t easy to do, but I can testify to the fact that it’s worth it. I’ve gone out alone and was either invited or asked to join along with other women who were attending an event, gathering, or doing an activity I wanted to partake in too. Pace yourself, but don’t be afraid to step outside your comfort zone. There are some cool people and a ton of fun waiting for you on the other side. 

Be Patient. Finding community takes time. So give it time. I’ve had different communities in different seasons of my life, and as things change, often, my community does too. This is common for most people. That said, be patient with the process. I’ve often made the mistake of trying to hold on to people and communities God wanted me to let go of (as they were just seasonal) and I’ve also overlooked people He wanted me to connect with. Have wisdom and know the difference between who and what is seasonal and pay close attention to who God may be putting on your path. His divine connections may come from the most unlikely places. I’ve had community with women younger than me, women I’ve worked with, women who were new moms, some married, some divorced, some single, and have even had community with people significantly older than me. But those relationships took time to develop. You can and will find community if it’s something you want. Just position yourself and it will happen. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...