Skip to main content

Approval

I’ve never really felt like I fit in. Despite my mostly failed attempts at being accepted and having the approval of different people, groups, social circles, and various roles I’ve desired, a common theme that’s followed me since I was a child was not feeling accepted or approved of. I often felt suffocated. Overlooked. Inadequate. Insecure. Undervalued. Even within my own family sometimes. Whenever I sensed someone didn’t like, accept, or approve of me, I made it my mission to try and win them over. I went along with things I questioned. Stayed in relationships or roles or environments I felt out of place in. Hid parts of myself I wanted nothing more than to be open with. Was filled with shame about being myself vs. who and what other people said I should be. And when and while rejected, I was met with isolation and ridicule. And once upon a time, other people’s approval once mattered more to me than my own. Inside, I felt plagued and occasionally wrestled with the question, Am I enough? My attempts to “fit” meant not being myself. I’d like to say that I grew out of it, but now, at 28, I’m learning that you don’t need anyone’s approval or acceptance to be who you are. God didn’t create us to seek the approval or acceptance of others or to be what others want us to be. He doesn’t do cliques or favorites. He doesn’t exclude. He’s also not into people being something they’re not. Romans 2:11 reads, “For God does not show favoritism.” If you follow my blog, then you may quickly gather that I’m not a conventional Christian. It’s possible to draw others to Christ without being controlling, obnoxious, or using fear tactics. One of the reasons I started Making Waves was to build a platform to create change. A table where believers and nonbelievers can sit. To heal. To learn. To grow. To challenge convention (especially conventional Christians and Christianity), to encourage and inspire others, and be a voice for those afraid to speak up and share their stories. I believe most people want to be liked and approved of, but the reality is that there’s always going to be someone who doesn’t like or approve of you. There’ll also always be groups, organizations, and people who will work overtime to exclude you, not support you, get offended without valid reasoning, and make you feel as if you don’t belong. You will be okay as long as you know who you are. Always. It’s massively corny wasting time being someone/something you’re not and seeking acceptance or approval from people who don’t embrace you as you are. If this has happened to you and appears to be a common theme in your journey, celebrate! It’s a sign that God has an extraordinary calling on your life. Step into the spotlight. It may feel lonely, odd, and uncomfortable at first, but you’ll begin moving differently when you stop seeking approval or acceptance. You’re going to go much further and higher than those who don’t and won’t accept or approve of you. Get ready. It. Will. Happen. God may be grooming you right now for what His version of extraordinary will be for you. The disapproval of others will push and strengthen you. From experience, I know that the grooming process can and will feel difficult and discouraging sometimes, but you’ve got this. You’ll also need to be very careful too. As God lifts you, there will be a lot of people suddenly trying to connect with you, many, with ulterior motives. Especially those who wouldn’t accept you at first. These types are often opportunistic and potential users. If they weren’t accepting or approving of you from jump street, their sudden interest in you may be questionable. Be on guard. If God’s anointed you to change the game understand that a lot of people won’t receive you. At least not at first. The disapproval of people sets the stage for Him to move. He already knew you wouldn’t be accepted or approved of by certain people and places. Withstand the grooming stage and flex. He is enough. And you, dear reader, are enough too. What will you do with what He’s given you?

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...