Skip to main content

Support

Jesus was the original OG. He saved lives, performed miracles, flipped a table over in a temple, and literally sacrificed his life in a painful and gruesome death on the cross to save humanity. And guess what? He was often criticized, eventually lied on, utterly humiliated, and unsupported by people who originally raved about him and different things he did. If this happened to him, some of the most creative, influential, and talented people walking this earth will likely experience being criticized and unsupported at different points too. I often see frustrations about this in my social media newsfeed from a handful of people actually doing productive things with their gifts and talents, who feel unsupported by people who could and should support what they’re doing. Especially people who know about them. Matthew 13:57 reads, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town and in his own home.” Jesus was not always supported. Even when he was doing dope things. You won’t always be supported with your goals, dreams, and endeavors either. But don’t you dare settle into discouragement because of it. Feel the discouragement but don’t stay there. When I was working three part-time jobs, taking a full-time course load, and putting myself through college, I had some family members and friends get jealous, say things to me like, “You’re not better than me…”, tell me what I couldn’t and wouldn’t accomplish, what was too hard for me, and doubt me as I finished up my senior year. I had a lot on my plate and was already very stressed. But still determined to finish school. Being discouraged and feeling undervalued and unsupported was painful, but it didn’t stop me from finishing my degree. The more things continued getting better for me, the more I saw people’s true colors. People I thought would be supportive and happy for me, backed up. Again, this was painful but a learning experience and reminder of who to keep close and who to part ways with. People won’t always be happy or supportive when you better yourself. And they don’t always want to see you succeed. Even some of your family, friends, peers, and associates. Your goals, dreams, endeavors, and opportunities to rise will always be a threat to someone else. Trust. It’s one of the wildest things I’ve ever seen and experienced. I can think back to a handful of moments when I wanted, needed, and should’ve had support, didn’t get it, and felt defeated, overlooked, and shortchanged. Until God swept down and sent people who would help me, were encouraging, supportive, and who valued me. If He did it for me, He can do it for you too. Stay focused, keep doing your thing, and keep making waves in this world. Show support. To yourself, and to others you recognize are grinding and trying to make their mark in this world. Imagine how much we could all benefit and help one another get ahead if we supported each other without hating, getting intimidated, or throwing shade? Let’s do this. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...