Skip to main content

Mean Women In The Workplace

Almost every workplace has its Regina George’s, Cady Heron’s, and maybe even some Glen Coco’s. These are all characters from the cult classic Mean Girls. If you’ve seen the movie, you’ll catch on to this post quickly. If not, watch it. It’s a funny and slightly dark comedy. Anyways, during my time in the working world, I’ve noticed a disturbing occurrence and increase of mean women in the workplace. I’m amazed that this is something that doesn’t seem to escape the world of girls and women. In almost every work setting I’ve been in, I’ve seen women pretend to be cool with different co-workers and trash those same co-workers behind their backs. I’ve also seen different women, younger and older, nastily compete with each other, be cruel and cold, step on others to get ahead, participate in hurtful gossip, take cheap shots at other women, and even make other women cry. This isn’t normal. It’s unacceptable behavior but it’s common. I’ve watched mean women get ahead, and it’s something that’s never sat well with me, however, I’ve also seen what eventually happens to women who continue behaving this way. If you give it time you’ll learn that things usually don’t end well for them. As a young woman in the working world, I aim to be a source of positivity and professionalism, even when it’s been tough to do so. I try keeping three things in mind when it comes to facing mean women in the workplace. See the following tips below:  

Observe. I’m a big observer. And usually very focused on whatever it is I’m working on. However, I also pay close attention to the people and things happening around me and recognize that there’s often so much being said that’s not always verbally spoken. Especially behind smiles or ID badges. Don’t be blind. People always reveal themselves if you just pay attention. I’ve gotten sucker punched in different work settings and situations simply because I was naïve and blindly trusted different co-workers and management that didn’t always have my best interest in mind. I learned from those situations and moved forward accordingly. You won’t always be able to avoid getting caught in the crossfire of some work conflicts, but if you pay attention, you can assess who and what to watch out for.  

Watch Your Back. Be careful who you talk to and know who can and can’t be trusted. Remember, not everyone has your best interest in mind. I’m a confidant for a lot of people because they know I can be trusted to keep private things quiet. I’ve had handfuls of different female co-workers come to me in tears, angry, hurt, or upset because they talked with another co-worker they trusted with delicate information about work or their personal life. Watch your back and be careful who you open up to and associate with. It’s okay to vibe with different co-workers at work. You should have a level of comradery with people you’re working with. Just make sure that when you talk about non-work-related matters, you keep your chats surface level or on a need-to-know basis. Avoid participating in gossip. And stay away from negative or unproductive conversations that aren’t producing solutions. It’s okay to vent a frustration every now and then but be careful where you do it and with who. 

Maintain Your Professionalism. There’s almost always going to be someone at work you don’t like and someone who doesn’t like you. It happens. Especially among women. But don’t let that disrupt your workflow or personal life. Focus on what you get paid to do. You’re not at work to be BFF’s with everyone. It’s cool if you make some friends at that level but if not, never dwell on who you don’t click with and why, or else you’re in for a long and miserable ride. Maintain your professionalism and have good boundaries. If your boss, leadership, or another co-worker says something thoughtless or mean that makes you want to scream, cry, curse, or flip something over, step outside, take a break, brush off what they said or did, and keep it moving. Once you’re calm, communicate if the situation warrants it. And please don’t get on social media and post about who or what got you upset. That’s a reckless move. Be better than that. It won’t always be easy, but don’t compromise your integrity or livelihood because of someone else’s actions or behavior. Their true colors will be found out. You just be the best version of you and keep it moving. Be kind and shine your light. You’ve got this. 




Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far