Skip to main content

Bachelorette Guide To Putting Yourself First

I’ve met a lot of single women who feel guilty about putting themselves first. A lot of them allow pressure from their families, friends, jobs, careers, or others to control and dictate how they should live their lives and spend their time. I often challenge that. Unapologetically. There’s nothing wrong with putting yourself first. It’s not selfish. I believe most single women are some of the most selfless people on the planet. Many are involved in community and volunteer activities, mentorship, occasional stand-in babysitters when available, take care of their parents, donate time and money to good causes, and show up for the other bachelorettes in their lives. And just because you’re single doesn’t mean your time or well-being isn’t important too.  Sometimes you should put yourself first. How do you do so?  

Say No (Without Explaining Yourself). You can say no to certain requests that demand your time or energy. And you can do so without explaining yourself. I’m still trying to master this because it takes time. I’ve had people with kids and different couples try to make me feel bad or guilty when they’ve asked me to cancel my plans or give my time or energy to what they wanted or needed with no hesitation. I used to feel bad for saying no but noticed that they don’t feel bad about putting me or other single women in awkward positions for demands on our time. So, it’s okay to say no. If someone withdraws from you for doing so, they probably didn’t respect or value your time anyway. 

Save The Date. I’m a bachelorette who always has something fun lined up. Whether planned or spontaneous, I prioritize having a good time. I recognize how much better I feel when I’m doing things that make me feel good. And I’m also taking advantage of the fact that I don’t have any kids or a relationship to tend to. I have the luxury to be fully invested and dedicated to myself. Almost every other week, I’ve got dates booked for a workout class with a friend, brunch/lunch/dinner, solo dates, and more. All single women should take full advantage of being single and live it up. If you’re single and have a child/children, secure a babysitter and prioritize taking care of you. Set aside time for some fun.

Just Do It. There won’t (and rarely is) a perfect time to do all that you want to do. Whether it be taking a trip, buying a pair of impractical but fabulous shoes, going on some dates, or saying yes to something spontaneous, whatever it is you want to do or experience, just do it. Life is short and time waits for no one. One weekend, a friend and I drove out of town to visit a gorgeous sunflower field in the area and the sunflowers were flushed because of some recent bad weather. We were slightly bummed but decided to stay in the town we drove to and had a mini adventure exploring the local sites. Be okay going with the flow sometimes. I’ve struggled with this but as I’m getting older, I’m learning to just go with the flow of fun. It’s a great opportunity to put yourself first and live your best life. What are you waiting for? 







Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far