Skip to main content

Bachelorette Guide To Becoming A Mom

I’m not a parent and I don’t have kids. For a long time, I was certain I didn’t want to be a mom. Ever. I’m doing my own thing right now and thoroughly enjoying being my own woman but when I get to the point when I’m ready to expand my life a little more, I know I can pursue it. I’m in no rush but lately, this has been something on my mind. Whenever someone has randomly told me, “You’re going to be a great mom” or “You’re going to fall in love with someone and have a baby” or excitedly asked me if I was hype to have a child, I’d abruptly changed the subject, flat out say no, or “I’m not ready for that.” A guy I used to talk to even asked me about having one even though we weren’t seriously involved. Which says a lot about the state of today’s youth and young adults. I’ve observed that more and more millennials are into having kids with someone without a serious commitment, which is slightly unsettling. I was raised very traditional, super Christian, and grew up with married parents so my perception of things was held to a different standard. I do understand that’s different for everyone, though. Things happen and things change. It’s recently occurred to me that I can become a mom whenever I want and don’t necessarily need a guy or serious relationship or husband to become one. To a degree, I’m already used to some things being way unconventional for me so having a child through adoption (which has low key been something I’ve been weighing for years) or via surrogate or in the form of being a stepmother wouldn’t be shocking at all. If I do become a mom, I anticipate it happening one of those ways. I’m not opposed to having a baby the old-fashioned way, but I’m also not waiting on the ideal guy to come along either, so I’m fully aware of my options. I don’t think a lot of women, especially single women, get that they too have options to become moms whenever they’re ready. Think about it. Whenever you’re ready or want to be a mom you can do the following:

Adopt. You can give a child or many children a great home and life. Plus, you can maintain your incredible figure in the process. I mean this in the most non-superficial way, but I’m really into taking care of my body, fitness, eating well, and looking and feeling great. I’ve seen how babies can significantly do a number on the body. Some women snap right back afterward and others don’t. Either way, adoption is a beautiful thing and would be an exciting journey. 

Seek A Surrogate. I’ve read, researched, and listened to different stories about women and couples who’ve had children via surrogate and/or gone through the process of IVF (in vitro fertilization) and freezing eggs and embryos. There’s so much information about these processes that I don’t completely know everything about, but I do know they’re expensive and can be a challenging journey. But these journeys can yield beautiful blessings and miracles. 

Be A Stepmom. I never thought this would fall on my options list. Especially since I surrendered the desire to marry someday back to God, however, these days more and more women are becoming instant moms. Blended families are a thing. A lot of guys already have a child/children from previous relationships. I’ve been clear and firm with my own stance against getting involved with guys that already have a child/children. Been there. Done that. My deal breaker list has consisted of not dating guys with a child/children. But what if God shakes things up and flips the script on me? It’s not an easy path. There are important factors to consider. A great guy who’s also a father is a package deal. Not only will you have to adapt to this kind of guy already having a relationship in place with his child/children, but the mother of his child/children will likely be nearby too. And while every situation is different, you ultimately have to decide if these are things you can handle. You can’t always help who you fall in like and in love with so weighing if this is a good look and fit for you is only something you can know. If things work out, you’ll be blessed to co-parent with your partner and a family of your own too. You never know. 

A lot of twentysomething women and older women sometimes put this tremendous pressure on themselves because of what their friends and family are doing and what “society” says a woman should be, but women need to know that they’re not on anyone’s timetable but their own. There are more options outside of what I’ve listed above, but it’s good to know there are options. You want to be a mom? Know your options and go for it! If not, do you. I’m not here to judge. Everyone’s journey is different. Just make sure yours is one that’s best for you. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far