Skip to main content

Are You A Racist?

Racist people don’t like being called racist. It’s odd. But then, so is racism. It should be called out every time it happens. I’m a minority, and an often stereotyped one at that, so experiencing racism isn’t something new to me. I’ve been called a nigger. To my face and behind my back. I’ve been warned not to speak up about certain things to avoid being coined an angry black woman but watched as non-minority women who’ve spoken up or flipped out about different things get support and sympathy when vocalizing their frustrations. I’ve endured race jokes from non-minorities and said nothing. I’ve been iced out, ignored, and given the silent treatment whenever I’ve tried to bring innovative and creative ideas into meetings and settings where I was the only black person at the table. I’ve been dismissed and deemed unqualified for different opportunities I worked hard for and just knew I’d be great for, and watched people less educated and unqualified not only get some of those opportunities handed to them, but in some cases get promoted at record heights because the person in charge wasn’t on board with diversity -- one of my mentors (who’s a very successful, highly decorated, and educated black woman) told me this is something that happens a lot. But it still doesn’t cushion the blow. I’ve been called touchy and fragile and exaggerated and told not to take things too personally whenever I’ve spoken up about this kind of behavior when it’s happened. These kinds of things have happened to me, people I love, people I’ve worked with, peers I went to school with, and even people I’ve known from the tiniest of threads. Some people endure it better than others but as long as I live, I’ll never get why some people are hateful towards others just because they’re from another race or have a different skin color or speak a different language. No matter how many of us look different on the outside, we all have a lot more in common than we might realize. I believe most racists are fearful and often threatened by anyone or anything that they’re unfamiliar with. I’m from Virginia so seeing this kind of behavior in grocery stores, college campuses, churches, job interviews, restaurants, shopping malls, and more isn’t uncommon. Things have gotten even worse with more and more closet racists being bold and open with their hatred and feeling justified with their views. I believe closet racists are the most dangerous types because on the surface they might appear to be cool with everyone. They often hide their prejudices until… they don’t. More often than not, it only takes one bad encounter, one stupid comment that went too far, one insensitive joke, one social media post (or several), and then you'll see their true colors. People will always reveal themselves if you pay attention. We all have a right to feel how we want about a particular issue or subject, but political preferences and prejudices aside, why is racism still an issue? If you are a racist and defensive and combative when someone calls you out, why are you so upset? Especially if it’s true. You can always change. Lay down your institutionalized thinking and fears and weapons. Rethink your views and ask yourself if you’re really justified in being hateful towards another human being who God created just as He created you. I’ve tried to understand what goes on in the mind of racist people I’ve met or encountered and often see that their behavior was taught and learned, and often, most racists I’ve encountered have been too afraid to even think for themselves. That’s what institutionalized racism does. It brainwashes people to the point where they don’t think for themselves. And that’s scary. If you are a racist, change your mind. You don’t have to remain a horrible person. Spread love. Not hate. It’s not too late to do the right thing. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far