Skip to main content

3 Ways To Deepen Your Relationship With God

Having a foundation with God at the center of your life is important. Personally, keeping Him first helps me keep a good grip and balance on my own life, especially when things seem off and challenging. Deepening your relationship with God is beneficial and can help you find peace, gain wisdom, clarity, and more when you get still and get to know Him better. Three ways to deepen your relationship with God? 

Get Still. Psalm 46:16 reads, “Be still and know that I am God.” This is probably the most important because it sets the tone for prayer and studying His word. I work full time. I also write and blog on a regular basis, workout, go to church, mentor, and do my best to juggle spending time with my family and friends in between everything else I've got going on. I prioritize getting still because it’s hard to hear God in the midst of all those things happening all the time. Someone’s always calling me, texting me, wanting to chill, and when I’m not writing, I’m usually thinking about writing. I'm never killing the game at all times in all those areas. If I'm great at one, I'm slipping up or falling back in another. That's why balance is important. I can’t possibly function in any of those areas well without balance and especially not without getting still to spend time with God. When things get out of balance, it’s a sign to slow down and get still.  

Pray. I pray all the time. When I wake up. When I go to bed. When I’m sitting in traffic. When things are good. And especially when things are bad. Prayer is a 24/7 open line to talk with God. Who wouldn’t take advantage of that? I need to pray because even when things are fine, I like to check in with God on a consistent basis. Not just when things are falling apart. 

Study. 2 Timothy 2:15 reads, “Study to show thyself approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.” I aim to get into the word every week, and not just on Sundays. With modern technology, there are so many ways to study the bible and learn more about the word. If you have a smartphone, you can download a bible app. If you’re more old school, you can keep a travel bible in your car, in your desk at work, or your nightstand. If you don’t know your bible, how can you expect to understand what’s happening with you and what God wants you to know and understand? Just like it takes time to get to know someone you’re dating, it takes time to know God. Although His thinking is always higher, the least you could do is know your bible. It’s a game-changing playbook with an answer to just about everything you need guidance, encouragement, or help with. Use it.

Make time for God. He makes time for you.



Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far