Skip to main content

Barack & Michelle & Becoming

Until I went to college, I wasn’t fully aware of the world of politics. But I quickly observed and learned people were supporting different groups, views, and candidates of their liking. Democrats and Republicans and Nonpartisans and a handful of other groups were retreating to their separate corners, outspoken with their views of who was right vs. wrong, who should be in office and who shouldn’t, who they wanted to fail and who they wanted to succeed, and more. It was clear how things could quickly get heated and ugly. During the time 44th POTUS, Barack Obama was elected into office as the first African-American president of the United States, it was obvious a lot of people weren’t happy about it. I was excited to be a first-time voter the year he won. Being able to participate in a history-changing election was incredible. Barack’s win was victorious, moving, and celebratory for some, and a massive disappointment to others. In Michelle Obama’s recently released memoir, Becoming, she writes, “Our presence in the White House had been celebrated by millions of Americans, but it also contributed to a reactionary sense of fear and resentment among others. The hatred was old and deep and as dangerous as ever.”

When Barack was elected, I remember the discomfort and discord and unease and tension between myself and some of my friends, former friends, amongst other Christians, and colleagues who were either Republicans, incredibly conservative, or had no interest in politics at all. I recall a former friend asking me, “Would you have voted for him if he wasn’t black?” Soon after the election, a concerned, conservative colleague shared, “I just hope nothing bad happens to him.” I’d also uncomfortably and silently sat through rants and distasteful jokes in different Christian groups and communities I used to fellowship with who weren’t silent or shy about their disliking towards his win, his time in office, and how they weren’t fans. Some claimed the election was rigged. Others repeatedly referenced him as an abomination and were eager to see him fail. And the social media shade was unbelievable. I used to pretend not to notice how bad it was but couldn’t keep ignoring it. It got progressively worse after Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton were campaigning for the presidency. All hell seemed to break loose once the final votes from that election were in. It was amazing seeing how having different views could easily cause rifts, division, and completely dismantle a number of relationships. I had a hard time digesting what was happening. It took a long time for me to understand and process that, sadly, many people, including many Christians, can be just as hateful, racist, sexist, and prejudice, if not more, than those who choose to be openly ignorant, intolerant, and downright mean. It was a painful and heartbreaking awakening. I never imagined that different people I’d met or shared cool moments and memories with would eventually become strangers and that our connections would grow distant and cold because of different beliefs and political views. I believe that you can have opposing political views than someone else, and still respect and remain cordial or friendly with those who don’t share the same views as you. Unfortunately, some people are not mature or seasoned enough to manage or understand that, but prayerfully, that changes someday. It was impressive to see that despite the non-stop insults, disrespect, challenges, tragedies, opposition, and bigotry, Barack and Michelle Obama, both handled their time in office with class, intelligence, resilience, and dignity. They’re legendary. I recently had the chance to read Michelle Obama’s memoir, Becoming, and soaked up every page and written word shared from her remarkable journey and story. Becoming is candid, inspiring, authentic, and thought-provoking and from my perspective, relatable in a number of different ways. I believe it was brave and necessary and important for her to share her journey. It’s a must-read for sure. No matter which political party you support, don’t allow yourself or your relationships with those you care about to suffer just because you may not share the same views. It also doesn’t hurt to WWJD these kinds of situations. Remember WWJD -- What would Jesus do? Model the way. Be the change you’d like to see. Be legendary. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...