Skip to main content

Barack & Michelle & Becoming

Until I went to college, I wasn’t fully aware of the world of politics. But I quickly observed and learned people were supporting different groups, views, and candidates of their liking. Democrats and Republicans and Nonpartisans and a handful of other groups were retreating to their separate corners, outspoken with their views of who was right vs. wrong, who should be in office and who shouldn’t, who they wanted to fail and who they wanted to succeed, and more. It was clear how things could quickly get heated and ugly. During the time 44th POTUS, Barack Obama was elected into office as the first African-American president of the United States, it was obvious a lot of people weren’t happy about it. I was excited to be a first-time voter the year he won. Being able to participate in a history-changing election was incredible. Barack’s win was victorious, moving, and celebratory for some, and a massive disappointment to others. In Michelle Obama’s recently released memoir, Becoming, she writes, “Our presence in the White House had been celebrated by millions of Americans, but it also contributed to a reactionary sense of fear and resentment among others. The hatred was old and deep and as dangerous as ever.”

When Barack was elected, I remember the discomfort and discord and unease and tension between myself and some of my friends, former friends, amongst other Christians, and colleagues who were either Republicans, incredibly conservative, or had no interest in politics at all. I recall a former friend asking me, “Would you have voted for him if he wasn’t black?” Soon after the election, a concerned, conservative colleague shared, “I just hope nothing bad happens to him.” I’d also uncomfortably and silently sat through rants and distasteful jokes in different Christian groups and communities I used to fellowship with who weren’t silent or shy about their disliking towards his win, his time in office, and how they weren’t fans. Some claimed the election was rigged. Others repeatedly referenced him as an abomination and were eager to see him failAnd the social media shade was unbelievable. I used to pretend not to notice how bad it was but couldn’t keep ignoring it. It got progressively worse after Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton were campaigning for the presidency. All hell seemed to break loose once the final votes from that election were in. It was amazing seeing how having different views could easily cause rifts, division, and completely dismantle a number of relationships. I had a hard time digesting what was happening. It took a long time for me to understand and process that, sadly, many people, including many Christians, can be just as hateful, racist, sexist, and prejudice, if not more, than those who choose to be openly ignorant, intolerant, and downright mean. It was a painful and heartbreaking awakening. I never imagined that different people I’d met or shared cool moments and memories with would eventually become strangers and that our connections would grow distant and cold because of different beliefs and political views. I believe that you can have opposing political views than someone else, and still respect and remain cordial or friendly with those who don’t share the same views as you. Unfortunately, some people are not mature or seasoned enough to manage or understand that, but prayerfully, that changes someday. It was impressive to see that despite the non-stop insults, disrespect, challenges, tragedies, opposition, and bigotry, Barack and Michelle Obama, both handled their time in office with class, intelligence, resilience, and dignity. They’re legendary. I recently had the chance to read Michelle Obama’s memoir, Becoming, and soaked up every page and written word shared from her remarkable journey and story. Becoming is candid, inspiring, authentic, and thought-provoking and from my perspective, relatable in a number of different ways. I believe it was brave and necessary and important for her to share her journey. It’s a must-read for sure. No matter which political party you support, don’t allow yourself or your relationships with those you care about to suffer just because you may not share the same views. It also doesn’t hurt to WWJD these kinds of situations. Remember WWJD -- What would Jesus do? Model the way. Be the change you’d like to see. Be legendary. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far