Skip to main content

Apprehension

In the past when I’ve been approached by guys outside my race, I’ve frozen. A lot. I’m usually flattered but at the same time, surprised and abruptly filled with apprehension. Boatloads of apprehension. This isn’t normal. After all, what if God sends guys my way I didn’t have in mind? He tends to do things way beyond human understanding, and often in my case, way outside of comfort zones and limited thinking. Much of my apprehension being approached by guys outside my race has internally prompted the following questions:
Am I some “trend” he’s interested in trying?  Sadly, there are some guys who are only interested in black women because they think it’s trendy or cool being with one. Interesting, isn’t it? 
Am I betraying my own race or “selling out” by not exclusively being with someone who’s black too?
How will the conversations go when it’s time for us to discuss race, culture, politics, religion, spiritually, and black hair? – For black women, the topic of black women’s hair can be sensitive and complicated and lengthy and wildly informative for “unwoke” and inquiring minds. 
How will things go meeting each other’s families should things get serious?
How will things go meeting each other’s friends should things get serious?
Is he strong enough to show up and lean on whenever someone challenges or disapproves of us seeing each other or being together? 
I’m attracted and open to all kinds of guys. Although there have been many assumptions about me having a specific type, I don’t. I like em’ Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, mixed, whatever. Variety is the spice of life. I know a lot of black women who complain about being single and believe that there aren’t any good or available guys in the world, yet, continue to stay within their own race with dating. If you only limit yourself to dating exclusively within your own race, you decrease the chances of meeting someone who may love to have a chance getting to know you, who might actually be a great match. I love and appreciate black men, but I’m not limited to strictly dating within my own race. However, a lot of my apprehensions with getting approached by guys outside my race has stalled things. Some of the guys who’ve been on the other end of approaching me may have thought I was just disinterested or odd or already spoken for when I’d smile and nod as they talked, and I mostly stayed quiet or pulled back with no explanation, when really, all the questions listed above were running through my mindNow, I just try to relax and breathe. Engage and enjoy. Even flirt back a little. My apprehensions have been based on some of my upbringing, limited thinking, some unpleasant encounters I’ve had, along with some painful past experiences, but the past doesn’t have to dictate the future. You never know who’ll end up checking for you and what can happen if you just chill, quit overthinking, change the way you think, and just go with it. See what happens. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far