Skip to main content

Bachelorette Guide To Holiday Shopping

I’m almost done with all my Christmas shopping. I started a few months ago so that by the time November arrived and ended I’d already be set. I’m a big saver and budgeting is something I’m enjoying learning more about to avoid overspending or even worse, going into unnecessary debt. I love the holidays and I get more excited about giving gifts than receiving them. With the holidays upon us, specifically to the bachelorettes, I wanted to touch bases about smart spending and shopping for holiday gifts. 

Holiday shopping for single women can get tricky. Who do you buy for and what is an acceptable amount to set aside or spend? If you’re not careful, things can get expensive, so what's a bachelorette to do? I thought you’d never ask! One of the biggest misconceptions I’ve received as a single woman who makes my own money is that I should be more flexible with my income because the overhead for a couple or a family with children costs more. No shade to couples or kids but I believe the overhead for a single person can be just as much if not more for someone living a solo lifestyle. Again, I’m a saver so I’m mindful of how I handle my funds, which has made holiday shopping less complicated.

Here’s what I did: 

·      I wrote out a list of priority fam and friends who are on my gift list. 

·      I set a budget for how much I’m willing and prepared to save and spend.

·      I picked up a few items each pay period and began the process of crossing off my list.

Shopping smart means planning ahead. Don’t hurt your wallet or damage your credit by going all out for one day that comes around the same time every year. You don’t have to get everyone gifts or participate in 50 gift exchanges either – I’m exaggerating but you get my point, right? Let the Lord lead you during this festive season and shop smart. Happy holidays! 



Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...