Skip to main content

All Things

He tried to Colin Kaepernick me. While I didn’t land a lucrative Nike deal (like Colin) in the midst of my own challenging season, I did gain some valuable lessons about taking a stand, moving through fear, and the power of God’s hand, His strength, and His will when things happen as a result of standing for what you believe in. If you’ve followed Kaepernick’s story, then you may already know what happened. If not, the short version is that he was essentially shut out by the NFL and still remains unsigned (which is a shame since he’s still young and very talented) because he refused to stand for the national anthem due to his beliefs about wrongdoing towards minorities and the oppression of people of color. That move cost him a lot and made him a bold, respected, and yet controversial figure in the world of sports. Around this time last year, I took a stand of my own too. I stood up to a guy we’ll call Mr. Anonymous. He and I didn’t get along and I’m certain he didn’t like me. He was abrasive, condescending, sarcastic, and dismissive and the moment I refused to tolerate his behavior or disrespect, things got heated. In return, he tried to damage my reputation and make me out to be someone and something I wasn’t. Defiant. Unqualified. And a troublemaker. He tried to Colin Kaepernick me. Believe it or not, someone else’s views or words about you can negatively impact your reputation, opportunities, and future. I believe in standing up for myself and for others who may feel defenseless. Some people believed some of the negative things said about me (some didn’t) and as a result, I was mishandled, humiliated, and at one point felt powerless. I felt like I was going through what I went through by myself which is one of the most discouraging and loneliest feelings ever while enduring a trial. I later learned this happened with other people who never spoke up either. I even spent wasted time trying to change Mr. Anonymous’ mind about me, and others he talked to. It didn’t work. Please know there will always be people who don’t like you or what you stand for. Even if what you’re standing for is legit. Things like respect, being different, having a voice, standing up for yourself, standing up for other people, and sharing your story will make waves and likely unsettle some people. Some people may have legit reasons for disliking you. Some may not. But don’t you dare try to convince how “likable” you are to gain anyone’s approval. You’re far too cool for that. Anyways, for months I stayed silent out of fear that if I ever shared my story openly something bad would happen. See what fear can do? It keeps people quiet. When I finally spoke up, I spoke, and I cried. I felt that crying while sharing made me look weak, but people who learned what had happened described me as brave, kind, and authentic. Some people had no idea what had transpired all those months I stayed quiet and maintained my composure while being mistreated. My professional posture was able to shield a lot. I figured, if I can maintain a good game face and professional posture, I’d eventually start to feel better. And I did. Things did get better too. Not overnight. But still, with time, things got better. Defiant and unqualified began to be replaced with words like focused, positive, wise, and gutsy. God built me up where I was torn down. That experience was humiliating, humbling, discouraging, and refining. Mr. Anonymous and some of his friends and I crossed paths some time ago. To my surprise, things were cordial. Mr. Anonymous even gave me some props. When I saw him again, I wasn’t mad, bitter, sad, or anxious. Underneath all the things he’d said about me, and the things he did to myself and to others, I could still see some good in him. If it wasn’t for him I might not have prayed at the capacity I prayed, learned to grow a tougher skin, to speak up in the face of adversity, be okay with being a woman with a voice, hopefully make the journey easier for others, and to understand the true meaning behind Romans 8:28, “And we know all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” That trial worked for my good. It let me know that God can use adversity for good. He can use all things. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...