Skip to main content

All Things

He tried to Colin Kaepernick me. While I didn’t land a lucrative Nike deal (like Colin) in the midst of my own challenging season, I did gain some valuable lessons about taking a stand, moving through fear, and the power of God’s hand, His strength, and His will when things happen as a result of standing for what you believe in. If you’ve followed Kaepernick’s story, then you may already know what happened. If not, the short version is that he was essentially shut out by the NFL and still remains unsigned (which is a shame since he’s still young and very talented) because he refused to stand for the national anthem due to his beliefs about wrongdoing towards minorities and the oppression of people of color. That move cost him a lot and made him a bold, respected, and yet controversial figure in the world of sports. Around this time last year, I took a stand of my own too. I stood up to a guy we’ll call Mr. Anonymous. He and I didn’t get along and I’m certain he didn’t like me. He was abrasive, condescending, sarcastic, and dismissive and the moment I refused to tolerate his behavior or disrespect, things got heated. In return, he tried to damage my reputation and make me out to be someone and something I wasn’t. Defiant. Unqualified. And a troublemaker. He tried to Colin Kaepernick me. Believe it or not, someone else’s views or words about you can negatively impact your reputation, opportunities, and future. I believe in standing up for myself and for others who may feel defenseless. Some people believed some of the negative things said about me (some didn’t) and as a result, I was mishandled, humiliated, and at one point felt powerless. I felt like I was going through what I went through by myself which is one of the most discouraging and loneliest feelings ever while enduring a trial. I later learned this happened with other people who never spoke up either. I even spent wasted time trying to change Mr. Anonymous’ mind about me, and others he talked to. It didn’t work. Please know there will always be people who don’t like you or what you stand for. Even if what you’re standing for is legit. Things like respect, being different, having a voice, standing up for yourself, standing up for other people, and sharing your story will make waves and likely unsettle some people. Some people may have legit reasons for disliking you. Some may not. But don’t you dare try to convince how “likable” you are to gain anyone’s approval. You’re far too cool for that. Anyways, for months I stayed silent out of fear that if I ever shared my story openly something bad would happen. See what fear can do? It keeps people quiet. When I finally spoke up, I spoke, and I cried. I felt that crying while sharing made me look weak, but people who learned what had happened described me as bravekind, and authentic. Some people had no idea what had transpired all those months I stayed quiet and maintained my composure while being mistreated. My professional posture was able to shield a lot. I figured, if I can maintain a good game face and professional posture, I’d eventually start to feel better. And I did. Things did get better too. Not overnight. But still, with time, things got better. Defiant and unqualified began to be replaced with words like focusedpositivewise, and gutsy. God built me up where I was torn down. That experience was humiliating, humbling, discouraging, and refining. Mr. Anonymous and some of his friends and I crossed paths some time ago. To my surprise, things were cordial. Mr. Anonymous even gave me some props. When I saw him again, I wasn’t mad, bitter, sad, or anxious. Underneath all the things he’d said about me, and the things he did to myself and to others, I could still see some good in him. If it wasn’t for him I might not have prayed at the capacity I prayed, learned to grow a tougher skin, to speak up in the face of adversity, be okay with being a woman with a voice, hopefully make the journey easier for others, and to understand the true meaning behind Romans 8:28, “And we know all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” That trial worked for my good. It let me know that God can use adversity for good. He can use all things. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And