Skip to main content

5 Workplace Tips For Young Professionals

Ah, the workplace. It’s where many of us spend much of our waking hours and how we make a living doing whatever it is we do. Some are fortunate to already have their dream career opportunities, while others are working jobs that they’re passing through for a season until they can step fully into their dream careers too. That said, I thought it’d be great to offer some workplace tips for young professionals and anyone else who needs it…

Be on time. If you arrive at your workplace at the time you’re supposed to, you’re already late. If you arrive at your workplace five minutes early, you’re on time. Getting in five minutes early allows you time to settle in and prep your mind and spirit for what the day ahead holds. If you arrive later than that, you risk scrambling and feeling rushed and unsettled. Get in five minutes early to avoid being late. 

Mind your social media… and your own business too. Almost every week I notice that my social media newsfeed is loaded with posts full of negativity, complaints, lengthy rants, and inappropriate memes about how a lot of people don’t like their jobs, bosses, or co-workers. Guess what? I get it. I’ve definitely worked with people who’ve gotten on my nerves or under my skin or did different things that were totally unethical and unprofessional. And I’ve also had things happen at work that I didn’t like or understand, however, I know the internet is forever and is not the place to rant about work, employers, or co-workers. Tend to your frustrations privately. If you’re feeling salty, moody, vengeful, or heated… put your phone away. More people are paying attention to you than you think. Ranting on the record could cause a lot of damage and could even get you fired. Always think before posting. And mind your own business too. I’ve talked to people who get frustrated, distracted, and distraught about things at work (and outside of work) that have nothing to do with them. I’ve also met nosey people who are preoccupied with things that have nothing to do with them either. If you have a job to do you don’t have time to get in other people’s business or be nosey, because the tasks you have in front of you should be your main focus. 

Stay focused. My computer desktop at work has a background I pulled from Pinterest that reads, Starve your distractions, feed your focus. When I’m focused, I get a lot of things done. A colleague once asked me, “You seem to get a lot of things done and stay ahead. Inquiring minds would like to know how?” My response? “I stay focused.” I rarely allow anyone or anything to disrupt my focus. Especially when it comes to work, writing, or any goals I’m working towards. And I get annoyed and crabby when disruptions or distractions come, only because I know how disruptions and distractions can easily get you out of focus and mess things up. A lot of people I know who are smart, talented, brilliant, funny, charming, cool, gifted, or amazing sometimes struggle with believing in themselves or getting things they’d like to do done, because they don’t focus, or they allow other people and things to get them out of focus. Not me. Because of that, I get stuff done. I used to feel guilty for saying things like no, I can’t, I’m not available, not right now, and I have plans already but I’m almost fully guilt-free with those words. If you can stay focused on what’s important for you to get things done and succeed, you’ll be a successful individual. 

Don’t burn bridges. Avoid burning bridges. I’ve burned some and I can tell you from handfuls of trial and error that burning bridges costs and can close doors, haunt you later, and destroy future opportunities. I’ve also had people burn bridges with me that I’d likely never work with or partner with for any future endeavors ever again. Be professional. Have good manners. Keep your word. Stay away from workplace drama and gossip and anyone who brings it. Avoid negativity like the plague. Make sure when you leave a job, you leave the right way. Treat everyone with respect – from the CEO to the janitor. If a boss, co-worker, or whoever you’re working with or providing a service to gets you upset, manage your emotions. Don’t bash them on the internet or disrespect them. Because you never know who knows who, who you’re going to need, or how and when life will bring you full circle with whom. Be careful. 

Have boundaries and balance. I don’t do other people’s work or take on things or responsibilities that are not mine to own. I know people who do that either end up silently frustrated and resentful or will quit their jobs because they’re afraid to stand up for themselves. I also don’t bring my work home with me. And I don’t go to work to seek friendship or romance, and I especially don’t allow work to disrupt my personal life. And you shouldn’t either. Which is why it’s important to have boundaries and balance. I know a lot of people who have weird expectations about what it means to be a successful employee and human being, and for that, I write this: You can take a day off. Or two or three. It’s okay. Your company can function just fine if you’re feeling ill or burned out. If something terrible happened to you or you passed away, they would find someone to replace you. Think about that. Also, a title doesn’t make you something you’re not. Your job doesn’t define you. If you have aspirations to be a CEO or any kind of leader, you’re one if God’s called you to be one. Promotion comes from Him. Always. If you’re not a CEO, a title won’t make you one. You’ll just be in a role you’re not called to and eventually end up frustrated and very unhappy. Just like a woman who gets married isn’t necessarily a wife. On paper she may be a wife but not in reality. Get it? So, don’t burn yourself out to be something you’re not. I know too many people who do this who come to me depressed, depleted, and discouraged. Do your job well but pray about your season in your place of employment. God may have you passing through there (because He has bigger and better in mind for you) while he promotes other people who’ll be there for years. Either way, you should not worship your job or a high position or envy someone else’s. Play as hard as you work. Try to do at least one fun activity in the week and make your weekends as rich and fun and relaxing as humanly possible.

Now go out there and get grinding. You’ve got this! 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And