Skip to main content

Weekend At The Movies

Some films are so real to the point where they’re painful, heartbreaking, and horrifying. Such was the case when I saw The Hate U Give. This film is one of the most important films to come out this year. It tells a story that many in the black community, unfortunately, know too well. It’s a story about an innocent black teen killed by a white police officer. The film is heavily inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement and definitely hits home on some painful issues with politics, police brutality, racial profiling, and the controversy surrounding race and what it means to be black in today’s America. When I was watching the film, I could identify with a number of things the films main character, Starr, was coping with. I wasn’t raised in the hood and didn’t go to a private high school, but I can certainly identify with her struggles being a young black girl feeling torn between handling her blackness at home and attending a learning institution with white prep schooled peers who simply don’t “get it” along with being in an interracial relationship with a guy who likes her for who she is, but whom she has challenges opening up to fully because of who she is and where she comes from as a black teen. Starr’s background wasn’t unbearable. She was surrounded by love and had great parents and siblings who wanted the best for her, but her school life, her peers, and watching her friend get killed certainly impacted her in different ways. It was disturbing but not shocking with how out of touch with reality a lot of her peers were, yet, a number of them took a liking to black culture staples such as: hip-hop, slang, Jordan sneakers, and using the phrase “lit” (I ran into a white guy that said that same thing to me once when entering a church service. I looked at him like he was crazy. I don’t believe he meant any harm, but it was corny and unnecessary.) It's bizarre how some people may enjoy black culture but can't empathize with the challenges, struggles, and sometimes brutally harsh realities that come with being black. Especially when politics, prejudice, race, and the justice system are involved. The conflicts surrounding these issues is certainly food for thought that can be hard to digest at times. The Hate U Give is well-written (read the book by Angie Thomas before or after seeing the film) and massively thought-provoking. Go see it. 



Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...