Skip to main content

Weekend At The Movies

Some films are so real to the point where they’re painful, heartbreaking, and horrifying. Such was the case when I saw The Hate U Give. This film is one of the most important films to come out this year. It tells a story that many in the black community, unfortunately, know too well. It’s a story about an innocent black teen killed by a white police officer. The film is heavily inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement and definitely hits home on some painful issues with politics, police brutality, racial profiling, and the controversy surrounding race and what it means to be black in today’s America. When I was watching the film, I could identify with a number of things the films main character, Starr, was coping with. I wasn’t raised in the hood and didn’t go to a private high school, but I can certainly identify with her struggles being a young black girl feeling torn between handling her blackness at home and attending a learning institution with white prep schooled peers who simply don’t “get it” along with being in an interracial relationship with a guy who likes her for who she is, but whom she has challenges opening up to fully because of who she is and where she comes from as a black teen. Starr’s background wasn’t unbearable. She was surrounded by love and had great parents and siblings who wanted the best for her, but her school life, her peers, and watching her friend get killed certainly impacted her in different ways. It was disturbing but not shocking with how out of touch with reality a lot of her peers were, yet, a number of them took a liking to black culture staples such as: hip-hop, slang, Jordan sneakers, and using the phrase “lit” (I ran into a white guy that said that same thing to me once when entering a church service. I looked at him like he was crazy. I don’t believe he meant any harm, but it was corny and unnecessary.) It's bizarre how some people may enjoy black culture but can't empathize with the challenges, struggles, and sometimes brutally harsh realities that come with being black. Especially when politics, prejudice, race, and the justice system are involved. The conflicts surrounding these issues is certainly food for thought that can be hard to digest at times. The Hate U Give is well-written (read the book by Angie Thomas before or after seeing the film) and massively thought-provoking. Go see it. 



Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far