Skip to main content

Getting Even

Forgiveness can be complicated. There have been times I’ve found it unnatural. Because sometimes, my natural reaction or response when I’ve felt wronged, hurt, or offended, was to come up with creative ways to be vengeful to the person or people who upset, harmed, or intentionally inflicted some kind of pain towards me, or anyone else I care about or love. All kinds of thoughts have run through my mind:

God, how could you let this happen?
God, why did this happen? 
Why should I be nice to them or forgive them for what they did? Especially after what they did? 
I hope they get exactly what they deserve.
I hope they get it back… and worse.

Complicated, isn’t it? 

If most of us were led by our flesh instead of the Holy Spirit, we’d likely do what we could to get even with those who’ve wronged us. I know I’ve had to go in my prayer closet and really let go of my desire to get even with different people. And it wasn’t easy. But as a believer, I know God instructs us to be forgiving. Even if and when we don’t like it. Ephesians 4:32 reads, “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”

God loves us all unconditionally. And no matter how bad we mess up or screw up, He still loves us and is willing to forgive us. So why is it a battle for us mere mortals to walk in forgiveness? Revenge might feel good for a moment, but its consequences can cause serious damage. It’s not our place to take things into our own hands to get back at someone who did us wrong. That’s God’s job. And I’ll admit, when God gets involved, things can get turned up. So turned up, that you may find yourself sympathetic towards your wrongdoers. I’ve seen it happen. And I can admit, it’s nothing to rejoice about. Forgiveness is still something I really have to work at sometimes, especially when the person on the other end of it has been someone who’s been cold, heartless, unapologetic, intentionally insulting, or shown little to no remorse, but I know even if they don’t do the right thing, I still have to flex my Christian muscles and do what’s right. So, I choose to shelve the need to be vengeful or to let my mind wander to a mean-spirited place. I’ll take the high road.

The view up top is nice.  

I’ve also come to the realization that as much as I’d love to clap back at anyone who has done me wrong, thrown shade my way, or does something messed up towards myself or anyone I care about, I don’t have the luxury to be childish, vengeful, petty, reckless, stupid, or ratchet. I can’t afford to get caught up in that kind of foolishness. I mentor some young women who look up to me, and when you know people are paying attention to you, you’re less inclined (and should be less inclined) to act like an idiot and step with a spirit of getting even. Which is why anytime I get the urge to be led by my flesh, I pause, pray, and turn things over to God. And I encourage others to do the same. It won’t always be easy, but again, taking the high road is worth it. God’s incredibly involved in what happens in our lives. Even when it’s been things that were awful, unfair, or unjust. He knows who did what. He knows who was involved. And He’s got you. Surrender everything you feel over to Him, and let Him handle the rest. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...