Skip to main content

About Vision

Different people laughed at me when I got business cards made when I was in undergrad, but one of those same business cards landed me a job interview with an interviewer who was impressed with the confidence I brought to the table. I believed in myself and doors opened up for me.  

When I took time off from college, I had no plans to go back. I couldn’t afford school. I had a delayed start and finish. But having visions of myself walking across a stage and having a college degree, along with lucrative employment opportunities wouldn’t escape me. So, I worked hard. More specifically, I collectively worked three part-time jobs (at the same time) at one point, and finished my bachelor’s degree in May 2017. I was 27. I had to fight for that degree because I had plenty of insecurities, discouragement, and a number of people implying I couldn’t do it and that I should just remain where I was, but deep down I always knew I could do better. And I did. I’d been on a ton of job interviews four months before I graduated and had some offers, and about two months after graduation I got a full-time career opportunity advising non-traditional college students for a living. Which is wild, considering I was a non-traditional college student too. How’s that for a full circle moment? 

I have three book manuscripts I’ve written that have been rejected numerous times, but at the end of last year and just recently this year, I’ve been taking meetings with different published authors and people involved in the book publishing business who’ve offered to assist me with getting published. They’ve all provided a wealth of knowledge about becoming a published author. It’s going to happen for me. I can feel it. 

Have you ever sensed you were supposed to be more, have more, and do more with your life? I have, and I’ve always had different visions of what I’ve wanted and been fortunate to see a number of things I imagined manifest. I once heard my father say, “You have to see it before you see it.” It is the vision you have for your life. I believe having a great vision can change the entire trajectory of your life if you're open enough to believe the vision can come true. I've had a number of conversations where I've randomly referenced being a millionaire (I believe in my spirit I’m going to be a prosperous woman. Perhaps I should level up to multi-millionaire!) and listened as people laughed and probably thought I was crazy, but who will be laughing if and when it actually happens? Much of what you want in this life occurs in your spirit and in your mind before it actually happens in real time. That’s truly the meaning of seeing it before you see it. Also, it’s best to keep your mouth shut around doubtful and discouraging people. Even some well-meaning people in your life may try to project their own fears and insecurities about your desire of bigger visions you have in mind, and you don’t need their non-support or unbelief to poison what you envision. Everyone won’t be happy to see you win and do well. That’s just something that comes with the territory. Just stay focused and keep moving forward. 

Having a vision and backing it up with prayer and action worksShowing is always better than telling. You don’t need to make any announcements or tell everything. You don’t have to respond to the critics, doubters, haters or the discouragers. Just do you. Do you, boo. :) 

Hebrews 11:1 reads, “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” 

Maintain your visions and see them through, no matter how wild, ridiculous and out of reach they might seem. You may be surprised at what happens.

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far