Skip to main content

The Perks of Being a Late Bloomer

I feel sorry for a lot of different young women I ever envied. As a former ugly duckling, chubby girl, and someone who was often overlooked and rarely got asked out on dates or noticed by guys, but was pretty on the inside, I had a difficult time being happy for other young women who had different things I once desired. Almost all of them had or currently have: 

·     Acceptance.
·     A naturally stunning appearance. 
·     A great guy to call their own.
·     Recognition, visibility, and were seen. I felt invisible growing up, and my invisibility haunted me for a long time. If you follow my blog, there’s a post about how I didn’t go on my first date until I was 21. I went for I settled for the first guy I felt saw me. And it was a disaster. It’s a great thing first dates don’t define our love lives. Especially during those low self-esteem years. In hindsight, I was always too good for him, and a recent full circle moment from that time confirmed that. Turns out, I’m more visible than I once realized. We live and learn, right? 
·     An engagement ring, a wedding, a husband, and a partner for life to do stuff with.

Out of my immediate family and groups of friends, I’ve always been the last one to experience things everyone else has already done. I was the last one who’s looks kicked in… my beauty and my booty were delayed arrivals. My confidence blossomed much later too. I was the last one to date. The last one to finish college. The last one to get my first grown lady job. And a handful of other lasts too. And honestly, I grew weary, frustrated, and dreadful of constantly being overlooked and last. Especially since I did what I was supposed to do, stayed on the godly path, and stayed out of trouble. But you don’t get a participation trophy for living right. Or a medal. Not even an honorable mention. Even if you are a millennial. Especially if you are a millennial. And a Christian one at that. Apparently, millennials are the generation that expects awards for participation and doing things the right way. Anyways…

Once I continued working on my inner self, got rid of my glasses in favor of contact lenses, starting slimming down, discovered incredible enhancing tools from the beauty gods, like makeup, heels, and hair extensions, and got more comfortable in my own skin, as time would have it, I preferred to be in front of a camera instead of behind one, guys were nicer and some began doing double takes whenever I walked into a room, and in the midst of all that blossoming, I learned about and embraced the perks of being a late bloomer. I had no reason to envy or fear other young women who had different things I thought I wanted. My desires have changed. A lot of those girls have already had their moments to shine. And sadly, many of them, especially the ones who were not and are not very kind people, peaked early in life. Some of them have no sense of their own identity or purpose or really know who they are. And I can tell. Which is why I feel sorry for a lot of them. They may have had different experiences that some late bloomers haven’t, and some of which some late bloomers may not get to experience but blossoming later certainly has its perks. Such as: 

·     Having the time to grow, develop, and mature, so in due season you’re ready for what’s meant for you.
·     Avoiding burnout or peaking too soon. Again, the ones before late bloomers have had their moment. A lot of their lives are ordinary and settled. Sky’s the limit if you’re a late bloomer. You get to close the show instead of opening it. 
·     Being able to blaze trails for others like yourself, who are blossoming later, so they can enjoy the ride and pay it forward too.

Matthew 20:16 reads, “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.” Lord, thank you.  

Massive and extraordinary changes are coming. I can feel it. 

So, my dear late bloomers, keep blossoming. I’m cheering you on. Miraculous and delightful things are coming your way. You’ll see… 








Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...