Skip to main content

The Perks of Being a Late Bloomer

I feel sorry for a lot of different young women I ever envied. As a former ugly duckling, chubby girl, and someone who was often overlooked and rarely got asked out on dates or noticed by guys, but was pretty on the inside, I had a difficult time being happy for other young women who had different things I once desired. Almost all of them had or currently have: 

·     Acceptance.
·     A naturally stunning appearance. 
·     A great guy to call their own.
·     Recognition, visibility, and were seen. I felt invisible growing up, and my invisibility haunted me for a long time. If you follow my blog, there’s a post about how I didn’t go on my first date until I was 21. I went for settled for the first guy I felt saw me. And it was a disaster. It’s a great thing first dates don’t define our love lives. Especially during those low self-esteem years. In hindsight, I was always too good for him, and a recent full circle moment from that time confirmed that. Turns out, I’m more visible than I once realized. We live and learn, right? 
·     An engagement ring, a wedding, a husband, and a partner for life to do stuff with.

Out of my immediate family and groups of friends, I’ve always been the last one to experience things everyone else has already done. I was the last one who’s looks kicked in… my beauty and my booty were delayed arrivals. My confidence blossomed much later too. I was the last one to date. The last one to finish college. The last one to get my first grown lady job. And a handful of other lasts too. And honestly, I grew weary, frustrated, and dreadful of constantly being overlooked and last. Especially since I did what I was supposed to do, stayed on the godly path, and stayed out of trouble. But you don’t get a participation trophy for living right. Or a medal. Not even an honorable mention. Even if you are a millennial. Especially if you are a millennial. And a Christian one at that. Apparently, millennials are the generation that expects awards for participation and doing things the right way. Anyways…

Once I continued working on my inner self, got rid of my glasses in favor of contact lenses, starting slimming down, discovered incredible enhancing tools from the beauty gods, like makeup, heels, and hair extensions, and got more comfortable in my own skin, as time would have it, I preferred to be in front of a camera instead of behind one, guys were nicer and some began doing double takes whenever I walked into a room, and in the midst of all that blossoming, I learned about and embraced the perks of being a late bloomer. I had no reason to envy or fear other young women who had different things I thought I wanted. My desires have changed. A lot of those girls have already had their moments to shine. And sadly, many of them, especially the ones who were not and are not very kind people, peaked early in life. Some of them have no sense of their own identity or purpose or really know who they are. And I can tell. Which is why I feel sorry for a lot of them. They may have had different experiences that some late bloomers haven’t, and some of which some late bloomers may not get to experience but blossoming later certainly has its perks. Such as: 

·     Having the time to grow, develop, and mature, so in due season you’re ready for what’s meant for you.
·     Avoiding burnout or peaking too soon. Again, the ones before late bloomers have had their moment. A lot of their lives are ordinary and settled. Sky’s the limit if you’re a late bloomer. You get to close the show instead of opening it. 
·     Being able to blaze trails for others like yourself, who are blossoming later, so they can enjoy the ride and pay it forward too.

Matthew 20:16 reads, “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.” Lord, thank you.  

Massive and extraordinary changes are coming. I can feel it. 

So, my dear late bloomers, keep blossoming. I’m cheering you on. Miraculous and delightful things are coming your way. You’ll see… 








Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far