Skip to main content

Approaching 30

In two years, I'll be 30. And my high school reunion is approaching in a few weeks.

Time flies, doesn't it? 

A lot of young women I've met freak out about turning 30, especially when they find themselves single and not exactly where they'd like to be in life. They've come to me with their fears, frustrations, and heartache about this. And I've had my moments too. 

I'm not in a relationship or planning to get engaged or married and don't have any kids, which by most eligible and quality men's standards make me a unicorn and a great catch. I'm also…

Where God wants me to be for right now. 
Embracing being my own woman.  
Healthy. 
College educated. 
Gainfully employed. 
Stacking my paper (this means saving money – just in case you're not familiar with the saying.) 
Accomplishing my goals and going after my dreams. 
In a position when I can determine if I want to rent or buy my first home.
Able to make plans to travel nationally and internationally.
Choosing quality friendships and healing from painful and draining ones.  
Choosing not to date, entertain, or settle for immature idiots. 
Content doing my own thing and living my best life. 

As far as turning 30 and high school reunions go, I ain't worried about nothing. Success is relative and not having the accolades or life events happen that society or anyone else claims I should have at my age or by 30 or at all, are bogus. I've talked with different men and women who’ve settled down and questioned if they ruined their lives or should have waited longer. Some of them are miserable, separated, or divorced. I've also seen people my age or older, in careers where they're making bank, but lonely, unhappy, and stay so busy working, they can barely enjoy the fruits of their labor. Which is why it makes no sense to be a hater or compare yourself or life to anyone else's. 

You're on no one's timeline but your own. So chill. 

Your life and all the wonderful things happening in it are not any less significant than that of those who eased into the love, marriage, and baby carriages life. Those three things seem to be common areas of panic for people my age or older who haven't checked them off the list yet. Screw that checklist. If you want those things, by all means, go for them, but only if you want to. Don't let pressure or what your friends and family want or are doing, influence your life choices. If you don't want those things, you don't have to explain yourself or feel inadequate for not pursuing or having them. My challenge to anyone having a moment of insecurity or worry or anxiousness about age or any upcoming reunions is to take note of all the great things you have accomplished already, recognize how amazing you already are, and understand you haven't even lived your best days just yet. You’re likely just warming up. 

By the way, a wise man once told me you don't want to be the person who peaked in high school or in college. So, while you're taking note of how successful you are, be sure to keep that thought in mind too.

Happy Friday Eve! 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...