Skip to main content

Approaching 30

In two years, I'll be 30. And my high school reunion is approaching in a few weeks.

Time flies, doesn't it? 

A lot of young women I've met freak out about turning 30, especially when they find themselves single and not exactly where they'd like to be in life. They've come to me with their fears, frustrations, and heartache about this. And I've had my moments too. 

I'm not in a relationship or planning to get engaged or married and don't have any kids, which by most eligible and quality men's standards make me a unicorn and a great catch. I'm also…

Where God wants me to be for right now. 
Embracing being my own woman.  
Healthy. 
College educated. 
Gainfully employed. 
Stacking my paper (this means saving money – just in case you're not familiar with the saying.) 
Accomplishing my goals and going after my dreams. 
In a position when I can determine if I want to rent or buy my first home.
Able to make plans to travel nationally and internationally.
Choosing quality friendships and healing from painful and draining ones.  
Choosing not to date, entertain, or settle for immature idiots. 
Content doing my own thing and living my best life. 

As far as turning 30 and high school reunions go, I ain't worried about nothing. Success is relative and not having the accolades or life events happen that society or anyone else claims I should have at my age or by 30 or at all, are bogus. I've talked with different men and women who’ve settled down and questioned if they ruined their lives or should have waited longer. Some of them are miserable, separated, or divorced. I've also seen people my age or older, in careers where they're making bank, but lonely, unhappy, and stay so busy working, they can barely enjoy the fruits of their labor. Which is why it makes no sense to be a hater or compare yourself or life to anyone else's. 

You're on no one's timeline but your own. So chill. 

Your life and all the wonderful things happening in it are not any less significant than that of those who eased into the love, marriage, and baby carriages life. Those three things seem to be common areas of panic for people my age or older who haven't checked them off the list yet. Screw that checklist. If you want those things, by all means, go for them, but only if you want to. Don't let pressure or what your friends and family want or are doing, influence your life choices. If you don't want those things, you don't have to explain yourself or feel inadequate for not pursuing or having them. My challenge to anyone having a moment of insecurity or worry or anxiousness about age or any upcoming reunions is to take note of all the great things you have accomplished already, recognize how amazing you already are, and understand you haven't even lived your best days just yet. You’re likely just warming up. 

By the way, a wise man once told me you don't want to be the person who peaked in high school or in college. So, while you're taking note of how successful you are, be sure to keep that thought in mind too.

Happy Friday Eve! 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far