Skip to main content

About Girl Code

A lot of women violate girl code all the time. Some do this knowingly, and others might be clueless about it. You would think not doing things like hooking up with someone who’s spoken for or dating a friend’s ex would be common sense, but because girl code’s becoming a common thing some heartless souls tend to violate, along with some other girl code infractions, I thought I’d drop a refresher course on what it means to honor girl code. Now, some of you might already know the unwritten rules about the code all us ladies should know, but for those of you who don’t? Keep reading…

Girl code is as follows. Thou shalt not: 

·     Date or flirt with a guy one of your friends has dated, hooked up with, or has a crush on. And if the guy initiates contact, it’s still your responsibility to do the right thing. 
·     Date, flirt, or hook up with a guy who’s already spoken for. Again, do the right thing. 
·     Withhold items such as tampons, hair ties, or breath mints for a fellow sister in need. Just be sure you’re returning the favor. 
·     Betray a fellow sister’s trust by sharing information or secrets that were shared in private.
·     Be a bystander when a fellow sister is being harassed by another sister or an uninvited male suitor. If things get too creepy or dangerous, get help. 
·     Let a fellow sister wander off with strange people (especially a strange guy) during a girls’ night out. Check in with each other. It’s also a good idea to check in with each other when one of you dates someone new, that way, someone knows who you’re with just in case something happens. 
·     Be passive when there’s an issue between or with other fellow sisters. Speak up and communicate. 
·     Abandon or ditch a fellow sister for a guy. Remember, sisters before misters. (Although, I believe this may be different for those of you who are married…) 
·     Fail to tell a fellow sister when she has something on her face or food in her teeth or any kind of wardrobe malfunction… you’d seriously want someone to tell you.
·     Shade, sabotage, bash, or trash another sister trying to progress. There’s enough room for all of us to succeed. Let’s support one another? 


Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...