Skip to main content

Gotchu

I like life to make sense. I’m a type A personality and will overthink and sometimes overanalyze something to the point of exhaustion. When life doesn’t make sense, I find myself full of unanswered questions and at war with God, myself, and sometimes, other people. I like to know what’s happening and why. I’m not a fan of unpleasant surprises and I don’t enjoy being caught off guard. In a lot of ways, I like a degree of predictability and knowing what’s going to happen next so I can get in front of whatever lies ahead. Words like focusplansdirection, details, strategyunderstanding, and organization make sense to me. Things like irresponsibility, dysfunction, bad planning, and poor time management annoy me. And when life happens and throws me for a loop, I find myself having to adjust even when it’s uncomfortable and unpleasant. And I don’t like it. Not one bit. I also don’t like living with questions like:

Why do bad things happen to good people?
Why did my aunt get cancer and why did she have to die?
Why aren’t people there for you when you need them? Especially the ones you’ve shown up for, poured into, invested in, and blessed? 
Why did I allow that friend in my life without reading the fine print first? How could someone like me, let someone like them, run up on me so easily? More importantly, how could I allow myself to be so blind, trusting, and stupid? 
Why did I give that guy my time, attention, and energy without reading the fine print first? Surely, I should’ve known better. 
Why do people ghost and try to come back? 
How can some Christians dare to call themselves Christians and be so horrible? 
Why don’t I fit with my family? 
Why don’t I have a point of reference in my life for the kind of woman I aspire to be? 
Why do I have to go through this process?
Why am I not as far along as I thought I’d be at this age?
Why does my journey look and feel significantly different from everyone else’s? 
Why, God, why?

See how all this can be problematic for a type A? Or perhaps anyone who’s ever asked themselves and God similar questions? Life won’t always make sense to us, but it makes sense to God. I must admit that possessing that level of faith and trust can be challenging at times. Even for the most faithful and toughest of believers. It can also feel discouraging and heartbreaking too. Which is why the saying, “Everything happens for a reason…” makes me cringe because trying to make sense of things that feel and seem horrifying makes no sense to me at all. Maybe they’re not supposed to. But I’m choosing to believe God knows what He’s doing. Even when I don’t like it. And even when I’m angry, sad, or disappointed. I’m learning to live through the whys and wait for the answers. I can sit with the silence. I can vent my feelings of frustration to Him and still trust Him. And I can surrender.

Whatever it is that you’re facing at the moment, be encouraged and cast all your cares upon God. 

He’s gotchu.

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” – Proverbs 3:5-6

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far