Skip to main content

Peeves

We all have things that get on our nerves. I have a handful. Sarcasm. Group texts. Oversharers. The list goes on. The benefit to having things that get on your nerves is the opportunity to exercise different fruits of the spirit for both your personal and spiritual growth (see Galatians 5:22). I immediately think of exercising patience and self-control when it comes to my own peeves. Such as…
·         Sarcasm – It’s not as funny or clever as some people think. I find it unattractive, condescending, and rude. And it benefits no one.
·         Group Texts – If a message isn’t something pertaining specifically to me, I’d rather not be in a group text. I don’t like getting a bunch of responses from people I either don’t know or that I’m not directly communicating with.
·         Oversharers – It goes without saying, but these days, people reveal way too much about themselves. While selective sharing is cool, a little mystery can go a long way. Everyone doesn’t need to know everything about you.
·         The Questions “Why are you single?” and “Why don’t you have a boyfriend?” - Both questions are usually accompanied with, “You’re so pretty, so why unattached?” It’s a silly question and assumption. People who ask me those questions often ask with looks of concern and pity, which used to make me feel like I was living with some kind of deficit for being single. My response is often, “I don’t know.” Truthfully, I don’t know how to respond to that question anymore. I usually smile and change the subject. Is an eligible bachelorette not more than her looks or relationship status? Know what else is annoying yet comical about those kinds of questions? They prompt even more questions. Once you meet someone people will ask, “When are you going to settle down?” Then when you settle down it’ll be, “When are you going to have kids?” Then when you have one it’ll be, “When are you going to have another one?” Back off, please? Thanks.
·         Public Speakerphone Users – Can you not take your calls somewhere quiet? Earphones are lovely. And so is privacy. Everyone else doesn’t need to hear your phone calls and likely don’t want to. What annoys you and why? 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...