Skip to main content

Crash Course In Professionalism (For Millennials)

You can learn a lot from any job and in any job setting. As a full-time professional, I’ve been able to glean a handful of information from my time working in an office setting. Below are some professional etiquette tips I’d like to share with other millennials, and anyone else really, that I believe are beneficial no matter where you're employed. If you want to be hired, keep a steady career, and have the option to seek new opportunities, being professional is a must. Check out the crash course below…
·     Manage Your Emotions – We all have emotions that need taming. I know I do. There have been times I let my emotions get the best of me when it came to disagreements with other colleagues or those I was providing a service for, but whenever I feel my emotions rising, I step away from my desk and take a break. There will be people and situations that get on your nerves, and on some occasions, make you want to quit your job. But don’t allow yourself to be led by feelings. Managing your emotions is not only a beneficial skill in the workplace but also one that can serve you well in life. 
·     Don't Jeopardize Your Brand - Be careful what you post on social media. More people are paying attention to you than you think (especially management, bosses, and other future employers.) One day my boss called me into her office and said, “I appreciate your hard work and professionalism. You’ve been able to remain professional to the point where if something upsetting was happening, you continue to remain positive and professional.” She also mentioned she saw a photo of me on Instagram. I don't have an Instagram account. The photo she saw was of me was with a friend of mine that she follows on Instagram. And while the photo was no cause for concern, the fact that she mentioned a photo was a cautious reminder to be careful. Professionalism matters, inside the workplace and to an extent, outside the workplace too. Foolish moves on social media can cost you your job, promotions, and future career opportunities. Why risk all that because you're having a bad day? Avoid using profanity, political rants, public rants about a breakup with an ex, friend drama, co-workers who get on your nerves, and distasteful photographs. If you're having a bad day and need to rant and express yourself, I suggest purchasing a journal to write out your feelings or venting to trusted friends and family. Also, be mindful of your attire. What your wear outside of office hours is your business but when you're on the clock, it's best to keep things professionally polished. 
·     Maturity – Have the maturity and capacity to communicate and do business with others without getting personally involved with them. I've worked with people I didn’t like and some who didn’t like me. But I'm always mindful to not let my emotions or disliking towards someone's personality or behavior to dictate my behavior or sabotage my work performance. It's important to have a level of maturity to communicate with challenging co-workers, clients, or whoever you're working with no matter how anyone feels about the other. No matter what, there's work to be done and that work will almost always require communication. Be mature enough to communicate and get business done without getting your feelings involved. 
·     Hold Up – When most people are arriving to work first thing in the morning, aside from a proper good morning greeting, give your co-workers a chance to settle in before you start engaging them about anything. A good rule of thumb is to give your fellow co-workers about five minutes, perhaps ten, to settle in before you dive in with questions, concerns, or anything work related for the day. Would you want someone to come at you first thing in the morning before you got yourself together? 
·     Watch Your Mouth and Your Back – I’ve worked in environments where I’ve heard people openly complain about their jobs, management, try to sabotage other co-workers, talk about other co-workers behind their backs while smiling in their faces, cry and complain in breakrooms because of something another co-worker said or did, and invite unnecessary negativity and stress into situations that could’ve been avoided. I don’t like any of that and I refuse to participate in it. When I’m at work, I often remind myself to watch my mouth (see Ephesians 4:29) and my back. Not everyone has your best interest in mind and no matter where you work, there will always be challenges, alliances, and cliques you need to watch out for.  Be sure to be kind to everyone but remember your role and what God’s called you to do and be in your workplace. There’s no time for drama. Do your job and be a source of positivity. Hope these tips have been helpful. Use them well. 


Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far