Skip to main content

Black People v. Mental Health

In the black community, there's a huge stigma about mental health issues and seeking professional help to resolve those issues. A lot of black people, and especially Christians, think that just going to church, letting things work out on their own, and keeping everything completely to themselves is a great fix instead of medication or professional help in the form of counseling. There's usually an “I don’t want everyone all in my business”, “I’m not crazy” or “What happens in this house stays in this house” mindset, and a lot of Christians feel they have an obligation to be okay 24/7, which is unrealistic and a front. And I'm writing from the experience of someone who, in the past, hasn't been okay, functioning fine on the outside while struggling inside. When I knew I needed help, I actively sought professional counseling and was able to get better. I’m a supporter of seeking professional help if and when needed. It’s almost impossible to be your own physician when it comes to your own mental health challenges and issues, and I wish more people understood that. It’s okay to not be okay. Seeking professional help doesn’t make you crazy, it makes you smart. You don’t have to go through things alone. Four years ago, I struggled with depression and anxiety. I felt like things were falling apart so badly that I barely wanted to leave the house or be around anyone. Although I was struggling, deep down I knew it wasn’t God’s will for me to live my life that way. Eventually, I’d have to snap out of it. And step by step, I did. Along with going to counseling, I also attended regular prayer meetings at my church, intentionally set aside time to read God’s word, carefully and obediently weeded different people out of my life who were not good for me to be around, and during that time, I read an incredible book by Joyce Meyer, titled Battlefield of the Mind – which really helped. I recognize my experience may be minor compared to what others have been through, and honestly, I used to judge people who struggled with things like anxiety and depression. My mindset was why don’t they just get over it? But it’s rarely if ever that simple. Things can be complicated. Life can be complicated. And in extreme cases, some people who need help may need medication in addition to counseling and that’s okay too. No matter what your race is, your mental health is important and is something to take seriously. If you need help, seek it. And never feel so afraid or ashamed that you keep your issues bottled up to the point where you're isolated and going through things alone. You're likely not the only one struggling with something and you’d be amazed to find others (even people you’d never imagine) are working through their own issues too and getting help. There’s nothing to be ashamed of. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...