Skip to main content

Black People v. Mental Health

In the black community, there's a huge stigma about mental health issues and seeking professional help to resolve those issues. A lot of black people, and especially Christians, think that just going to church, letting things work out on their own, and keeping everything completely to themselves is a great fix instead of medication or professional help in the form of counseling. There's usually an “I don’t want everyone all in my business”, “I’m not crazy” or “What happens in this house stays in this house” mindset, and a lot of Christians feel they have an obligation to be okay 24/7, which is unrealistic and a front. And I'm writing from the experience of someone who, in the past, hasn't been okay, functioning fine on the outside while struggling inside. When I knew I needed help, I actively sought professional counseling and was able to get better. I’m a supporter of seeking professional help if and when needed. It’s almost impossible to be your own physician when it comes to your own mental health challenges and issues, and I wish more people understood that. It’s okay to not be okay. Seeking professional help doesn’t make you crazy, it makes you smart. You don’t have to go through things alone. Four years ago, I struggled with depression and anxiety. I felt like things were falling apart so badly that I barely wanted to leave the house or be around anyone. Although I was struggling, deep down I knew it wasn’t God’s will for me to live my life that way. Eventually, I’d have to snap out of it. And step by step, I did. Along with going to counseling, I also attended regular prayer meetings at my church, intentionally set aside time to read God’s word, carefully and obediently weeded different people out of my life who were not good for me to be around, and during that time, I read an incredible book by Joyce Meyer, titled Battlefield of the Mind – which really helped. I recognize my experience may be minor compared to what others have been through, and honestly, I used to judge people who struggled with things like anxiety and depression. My mindset was why don’t they just get over it? But it’s rarely if ever that simple. Things can be complicated. Life can be complicated. And in extreme cases, some people who need help may need medication in addition to counseling and that’s okay too. No matter what your race is, your mental health is important and is something to take seriously. If you need help, seek it. And never feel so afraid or ashamed that you keep your issues bottled up to the point where you're isolated and going through things alone. You're likely not the only one struggling with something and you’d be amazed to find others (even people you’d never imagine) are working through their own issues too and getting help. There’s nothing to be ashamed of. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far