Skip to main content

The College Comeback

“I just thought this was the end for me,” she said. I told her, “It’s just the beginning.” She was 25 and trying to go back to school. In the midst of her college comeback, she was delayed and unable to start when she wanted to. No one was helping her and she needed help and wasn’t receiving it. I could hear the hunger and tenacity in her voice and I wanted to see this girl win. I can remember being in the same place she was when I was 25. Trying to make a comeback into college. And many people in my life were discouraging about my decision to return to school. I would later learn that sometimes, when you step out to accomplish your goals and dreams, others may be jealous or even threatened that you have the courage to go for what you want despite setbacks and struggles. Especially if they’ve chosen not to progress in their own lives and remain mediocre. I had a choice. Stay small and regret not finishing school or go back and finish. I choose to finish. All while specifically being told the following:
·         “You might want to consider getting your Associates, you’re getting older.”
·         “You’re a grown woman. No one’s going to help you.”
·         “Don’t let anyone talk you into going back to school. Can you handle it again?”
·         “What can you do with a degree in English?” (This question is often asked with apprehension. But who do people think is responsible for all the music, movies, shows, screenplays, and books that entertain us? Writers, duh. And they make a lot of money doing what they love. Writers not only get jobs, they build careers.)
·         “You should try to finish by the time you’re 25.”
When I spoke with my academic advisor at the time about how long it’d take for me to earn my B.A., she said three years. I was in tears. I’d already been in and out of a different university and a community college. I had some credits under my belt but needed more. In three years I’d be 28. To me, that was old. I’d miss out on all the other milestones my family and friends were experiencing because I was in school. I thought it was “the end” for me. And while I did get my degree, I had to fight for it. Tenaciously. And I was stressed. I juggled three part-time jobs, maintained a decent GPA, took five courses at a time during one semester (and sometimes one course at a time depending on my financial situation), fought with family, fought with friends, and even fought my own doubts, fears, and insecurities. But by the grace of God, I made it. And I told the young woman if God did it for me He could do it for her too. What she deemed an ending, I saw as a beginning. I believe a lot of millennials’ struggle with their age and wanting to hit certain milestones instantly (I blame social media and the fake “overnight” stars and success stories out there) and should they experience delays, or have to get a new strategy in place, they feel they’ve somehow failed because they didn’t cross things off their lists by their self-imposed timelines. There is no such thing as an overnight success. Millennials, please hear me on this – there is no such thing as an overnight success. Even in this “I want it now”, microwave meal, Amazon Prime overnight shipping, façade of instant gratification and success, great things still take time. Let things marinate and have patience with the process. I continually had to learn that. And if your fears, insecurities, or reservations are rooted in “getting older” think of it this way. If you’re 30 and going back to school and it’s going to take four years to complete your undergrad degree, you’re going to turn 34 anyway. Why not turn 34 and have the degree too? By the time my conversation with this young woman ended, she went from crying to laughing. I could tell her spirit was lifting. “It’s going to be okay,” I told her. She has a promising future ahead of her and I can’t wait to see how her story unfolds. Don’t ever give up on yourself or your goals and dreams. Have the courage to see things through no matter how long it takes.



Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far