Skip to main content

The Bachelorette Life

I believe many Christian communities and churches have failed singles. I could give a fake testimony about the blessings of Christian dating and singleness, but instead, I’ll be honest and testify to the fact that being a good girl, doing things the “right” way, and playing by the rules has practically gotten me nowhere. I haven’t met the right person or even come close to landing the one. I’ve casually dated, prayed, been patient, gave up, repented for giving up and prayed to keep the faith, read almost any and every book on singleness (even one about praying for your future spouse – which I shelved shortly after reading), encouraged other single women struggling through their own seasons, battles, and insecurities, and finally decided to take my life in another direction. Because, brutal truth? You can be as holy, pure, and as good as a Christian as you want and it still won’t guarantee a quality significant other or a significant other at all. At best, you’ll watch almost everyone else around you (even those girls who did things the sketchy and messy way) get a ring, walk down the aisle, have kids, and start their families. You’ll find a way to cope with it, try to be happy for them, make your peace, and move on. No matter what though, don’t let what happens make you bitter or a hater. You’re far too good to be either one of those things. For a long time, I was angry and frustrated with myself and with God. I’d be lying if I didn’t question if I might as well have been out doing what everyone else was doing vs. being in church on the regular. I could’ve been out enjoying myself. In a past season, I dabbled and had a brief season of hitting the bar scene with friends and was spiritually torn about leading what felt like two different lives. Because while churches preach abstinence until marriage, praise promise rings (I don’t even wear mine anymore because at this point it feels like a joke), and encourage singles to pray for their future spouses, they don’t often celebrate singles, encourage them to lead their own lives, feel safe to discuss sexuality, how to protect themselves if they do step out, and more. Instead, many churches and Christian communities push for marriage vs. dating, preach the gospel of sex being a bad thing, when it’s not. It’s a part of God’s design intended to be enjoyed within the confines of marriage, and some, do offensive and annoying things like single-shaming, and have a warped perception that if you’re single, you should want to serve those who are not, by volunteering and sacrificing your time to be a baby-sitter, pet-sitter, house-sitter, or errand runner, because apparently if you’re single, your time isn’t valuable, which is a message that’s been intentionally and unintentionally fired at myself and other single women I know, too many times. Oh, and some couples and those who are parents might mistake you for a living and breathing ATM machine who should freely offer your income for their wants or needs, because, the overhead for a couple or family costs more, because if you’re single, your income isn’t as significant. How bogus? And should you, as a single person, have the audacity to decline any of those requests? Apparently you’re selfish... or so I’ve been told. I allowed what I was taught in church and the environment I grew up in to influence my belief system to the point that I spent a large portion of my twenties at church, at home indoors on the weekends, appointed to the plans and agendas of others, and waiting for a “spouse”, when I could’ve been celebrating my singleness to the fullest. I can’t get that lost time back but I can continue building from where I am and switch things up. It’s time for a new chapter, major changes, and a fresh vision. I’m grateful for singleness. I can fully focus on my own wants, needs, and desires. And fulfill all my goals and dreams. And other cool things, like…
·         Enjoy my own company.
·         Have time alone to write.
·         Budget, stack, and spend my own income.
·         Travel whenever I want.
·         Date and flirt with guys I actually like.
·         Make and/or cancel plans when I want.
·         No pressure to marry or have kids.
·         Move to another city, state, or country.
·         Spend as much time with God as I want.
·         Learn to do more things on my own.
·         Furnish my bachelorette pad.
·         And watch a basketball game, show, or movie without disruptions and someone asking me a ton of questions while I’m tuning in.
Sounds good to me J


Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far