Skip to main content

Looks Do Matter

What’s on the inside really matters most, right? At least that’s what most of us are taught growing up. However, in this vain and superficial society, looks do matter. Even to those who aren’t vain or superficial. I’m not. But I know the truth. Some people are born beautiful and some aren’t. It’s just the way life works. And you likely know this too. And anytime you meet someone who’s been gifted in the looks, personality, and intellectual department? Consider yourself extremely blessed. You’ve officially spotted a rare species of human beings, complete with the almost perfect combination of wonderful genes, quality personality, and humble intelligence. Believe it or not, I’ve met these kinds of guys and sadly, a number of them have either been spoken for already or assumed I was spoken for and didn’t make a move #bummer. Anyways, while internals such as personality, how you treat others, and respect are important, I believe appearance matters as well. One of the first things people notice when they first see and meet you is your appearance. What does your appearance say about you? That you don’t value yourself or that you’re someone who takes time to be put together? I’m not insisting you have to look like a supermodel off the cover of Vogue or a debonair guy stepping off the cover of GQ but how you carry your weight, attire, grooming, and approach to those things can make a difference in how people see you, treat you, opportunities, and how you’re respected and received. I’d like to imagine that people would never treat someone differently because of the way they look, but this world can be tough, and the reality is that most people are visual. Your aim should be to look your best and no one should have to tell you to look your best. You should want to do that. Plus, when you look good you feel good. While some people are born natural beauties, others can enhance and build with what they’ve got. Use what you have and go from there. I don’t spend a ton of money on beauty products or clothes, but I find ways to enhance what God’s blessed me with. I definitely have things I’ve been insecure about, like some of my crooked teeth, the size of my nose, and areas on my body I’m still working on toning. How cool would it be if we could take the fat from the stuff we eat and decide where we’d like to strategically place it on our bodies? I can think of some places I know I’d enjoy placing mine J I’m kidding…or am I? Totally kidding. Really, I’m kidding. Believe me, I don’t always enjoy drinking green smoothies for breakfast five days a week, counting calories, and going to the gym on the weekends and especially not after long days at the office, but I know how important it is for me to look and feel good about myself and with how I present myself. Personality and having a quality inner self is always important but so should taking care of your physical self too. Exercise and get a nice fitness routine in place. Eat better and make healthier food choices. Get more rest at night. Get a nice hairstyle. Have some nice outfits you can switch up in and look your best. Consider reinventing yourself if necessary. Looks do matter, no matter what anyone says. What do you want your appearance to say about you? Come Out of Your Shell: Earlier this year I set out to be intentional about improving my inner self as well as my outer appearance. One fun thing I did after working out more, changing my diet, and experimenting with my hair was to have some professional photos taken. I reached out to different photographers in my area and found one that fit my budget and vision, who was able to capture beautiful, fun, and memorable photos I can hold on to. So, come out of your shell and celebrate yourself! Do a professional photo shoot sometime. Not only will you feel like a model (I speak from experience) but it can boost your confidence in some incredible and unexpected ways.


Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far