Skip to main content

How To Cope With Seasons of Loneliness

I repeatedly checked my phone for calls or text messages from “friends” to spend some time together. And there was nothing. No calls. Voicemails. Texts. Nada. Why does this keep happening to me? I make time for them and they won’t be flexible for me. Better yet, I see they’re on Facebook hanging with other people. No one invited me, though. I was lonely. Some of my friendships at the time, weren’t as deep as I thought and I was growing frustrated with loneliness. Instead of embracing it, I grew upset. Looking back, I wish I would’ve allowed myself to feel what I felt but to also keep moving and enjoy my own company, with or without the people I desired to spend time with. It didn’t hit me until much later that if I really wanted to go out and do different things I wanted to do, I could just do them on my own. In the past, I always waited on friends and others before I decided to go out. Even worse, I’d often decide to stay in and not go out, out of fear of being alone or looking like a loser for doing things solo. That was until I realized how to cope with seasons of loneliness. Now, I enjoy my own company. And while I still deal with loneliness sometimes, I’m discovering that when you’re on your own, you can connect deeply with yourself and even go out and meet other people who are out doing things alone too and connect with them. Imagine that?! I’ve noticed that almost every season I’ve felt lonely, I was frustrated to the point where I’d do something about it, and it usually involved ditching my comfort zone and throwing myself into environments and activities where I was able to engage and connect with other wonderful people, experiencing what I was experiencing. I’d been praying to meet more like-minded people, cool guys to date, people to fellowship with, travel with, go to movies with, brunch with, listen to live music with, and more – the only problem was I needed to show God I was willing to do the work. Certainly, no one was going to come knocking on my door asking, “You in there? I’ve been searching for you all my life…” So I started stepping out. Having the faith to step out solo, led to some incredible and divine connections, that otherwise wouldn’t have happened if I stayed indoors whining about being lonely or waiting on the people I’ve always spent time with to make time or have time for me. Each time I stepped out I was nervous, scared, and incredibly uncomfortable. But my uneasiness would calm the moment I met other people. With all the incredible human beings on this planet, it’s comforting knowing that what you’re seeking may be seeking you and has been waiting on you, in the right places, at just the right time. Seasons of loneliness will come, and sometimes, you’ll have moments where you’ll feel alone, but you’re not the only one. Spend that time connecting with God, improving yourself, and have the courage to step out. There are people waiting to meet someone as remarkable as you and can connect and nurture the support you want and need, while enhancing your life, even if it’s just for a season. What are you going to do about that? High Surf Advisory: Loneliness can also make people do some unwise things. I’ve personally made plenty of dumb decisions that stemmed from loneliness and I want to make sure others avoid making similar mistakes. Poor decision making when it came to different guys, poor choices in different friends I chose, bad spending habits that led to debt, and more, are just a handful of choices I made during different seasons of loneliness. Don’t let your loneliness guide you to make decisions that’ll complicate your life, invite setbacks, or any other unnecessary stress. More specifically, think about what you’re thinking about, motivated by, and the spirit you’re operating in before you make a decision from a lonely place. I’ve heard different people say things to me during their own seasons of loneliness, such as…
I’m afraid I’m going to end up alone.
I’m tired of being single.
I just want to be married.
I’m the only person I know who doesn’t have kids.
I just want to have a baby.
I’m tired of waiting.  
I can’t stand this job. I quit.
I’m tired of not having the friends and support I want. I’ll just chill with whoever.
I’ve watched a lot of people crash and burn from making decisions rooted in some of the thoughts I’ve shared above. Don’t let loneliness or your impatience lead to impulsive and foolish decisions. Again, spend seasons of loneliness bettering yourself and being guided by God.  

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far