Skip to main content

Black People v. The Police and The Justice System

Comply and die. Resist arrest and die. Complicated, isn’t it? The relationship between much of Black America v. the current justice system and especially law enforcement is complicated. So much so, that it’s left many people divided on this controversial yet current issue. As a black woman, I’m very much aware of the hate, prejudice, racism, and police brutality that currently continues in our society, no matter how much some non-minorities express that it doesn’t and quickly dismiss that race and racism are often “exaggerated”, or that the Black Lives Matter movement is non-inclusive, which couldn’t be further from the truth. For the record, the Black Lives Matter movement doesn’t indicate that other lives don’t. Of course all lives matter. It’s crazy how that gets twisted. I didn’t realize how bad things were until July 2013, when George Zimmerman was found not guilty of the murder of 17-year-old teen, Trayvon Martin. Even more tragic than the murder and dismissal of that case, were the shameful and disgusting things I saw flooding my social media newsfeed following the verdict. I couldn’t believe some of the posts I saw, some, even celebrating Trayvon’s murderer being found not guilty. How sick and disrespectful is that? He was somebody’s child. Racism and hate have been very much alive for awhile, and unfortunately, when a black man (or black woman) is killed or roughed up by the police, some people feel as if the victims deserved it. Or it was an accident. Or a misunderstanding. And I’ve grown to realize that this race thing is something that some people aren’t able to ever understand. Again, it’s complicated. While I consider myself a law-abiding citizen, I'd be lying if I denied the anxiousness that’s poured over me during moments I’ve been in traffic and a cop was right behind me or pulling over another person of color. As a Christian, I know God has not given us a spirit of fear (2 Timothy 1:7) but when it appeared that it was open season on black people, the fear felt justified. I understand that law enforcement and the justice system are in place to both protect and serve us all, but, many people still remain distrustful and fearful. And the distrust and fears are valid. The body count of deceased black lives was growing: Trayvon Martin, Philando Castile, Alton Sterling, Tamir Rice, Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Oscar Grant and many, many more. While the media, public, and others are mourning, protesting, and looking for justice, you can always count on groups of supporters siding with the majority who are in the wrong. And should these things continue to happen? You can bet all hell will break loose in public and on social media, lit with disputes, debates, and straight up hate. Some people are dismissive, implying blacks or anyone else doesn’t have a right to be upset or to have an opinion on the subject. We’re all entitled to our own opinions, but it’s important to be respectful and at least hear each other out. I’m the kind of person that aims to understand someone else, even if I disagree with them or their actions. Although flawed, I still believe in the justice system and I believe there are honorable police officers who live by the oath of honor, and truly embody what it means to protect and serve the people. There are men and women out there in uniform sacrificing their lives each and every day to make sure the rest of us are safe. Police officers are people too, with parents, husbands, wives, and children who they want to make it home alive to see as well. I do recognize and respect that. Those lives matter too. However, will a fully trustworthy relationship between Black America, the police, and a flimsy justice system ever be completely restored? That remains to be seen. I’ve been reading The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas that tells a thought-provoking story about some of what I’ve shared here. And I was excited to see there’s a film coming out this upcoming fall based on this timely and very important story. See the trailer here. That Hate U Give was a popular saying publicized and tattooed as, Thug Life, on the late and legendary rapper, Tupac Shakur. It has an important meaning behind it that you can read more about here. Stay woke.


Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far