Skip to main content

The Casualties of Favoritism

In some families, siblings don’t always get along. Some are estranged, barely keep in touch, and in extreme cases, may decide to part ways for good. Every family has its issues and challenges. But what causes this kind of strain? Could favoritism be one of the issues? I once heard that parents tend to take a liking to the child that’s most like them. Some may argue that in doing so, parents are essentially picking and favoring a child that’s their “favorite” over their other child and/or children. That can be problematic and painful. The roots of favoritism can breed resentment and unhealthy sibling rivalries. I witnessed this happen with my father and his sister and saw how it brought tension to their relationship. My grandmother (my father and aunt’s mother) tended to have a closer relationship with my father, which upset my aunt. She felt like their parents did more and invested more in my father and at different times, my father felt like his sister received more support than he did. My grandfather (my father and aunt’s father) wasn’t present in my father’s life when he was young, and some family suggested my grandmother felt the need to overcompensate for that, which may have made my aunt upset and perhaps made her feel she didn’t have the relationship with her mother that she desired. Similar things happened with my sibling and me. When I was a kid and even at different times as an adult, I always felt like I was in competition with my brother and often perceived that he was the favorite. When he would get support and praise for his accomplishments and goals, while I got little support and sometimes silence for mine, I’d often feel crushed. Because of that, I believed I didn’t measure up to different expectations that some family members and close acquaintances set in place, and I continually felt like a failure. And there was plenty of commentary and incidents to support that. Silence and shade when I got good news and repeatedly hearing things like, boys are smarter than girls when my grades weren't as high and the nagging and comparisons about my love life, attached with being haunted by questions like, who’s getting married first and who’s going to have the first grandchild eventually started taking a toll. I was annoyed and disappointed all while keeping my thoughts contained. But in the midst of the disappointment, I discovered that my life can be prosperous without approval and without racing to get a ring or sprinting down an altar for marriage or being eager to birth a child. It’s not a race. I repeat. It. Is. Not. A. Race. Why rush towards those milestones to prove a point or earn approval? Progression takes time and if you get to those things too soon, inevitably, you risk crashing full speed into a wall instead of letting things happen in God’s timing. Whenever I aimed to openly communicate and address my hurt, I was either withdrawn from or told I was being too emotional, jealous, imagining things, or stop feeling sorry for yourself. Respectfully, I disagree. For a long time I believed I had to prove myself through works and achievements. I wrestled with a lot of insecurity because of favoritism. I know my parents love me but I often wondered, am I enough? Am I ever going to be enough? I used to feel guilty for thinking and feeling that way. The constant earning and achieving of accomplishments, trying to have my voice heard, win respect, approval, support, and favor, only left me emptier than ever, attempting to fill a void I desired. Then I later realized something. No amount of accolades, accomplishments, awards, milestones, money, success, or achievement can buy you support, love, or favor. You have to arrive at a place where you’re wholeheartedly confident and okay with who you are and what you’ve achieved, whether supported or not and realize that you are enough and will always be enough for God. James 2:1 reads, “My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don’t show favoritism.” Favoritism is prohibited in the bible but people still do it. But things don’t have to remain that way. I no longer feel the need to earn approval or compete with my sibling. I’m learning to let those things go. I imagine that most parents only want the best for all of their children, favored or not. Support breeds success. And equal support can move mountains. Regardless, I fully intend to snatch the spirit of favoritism by its roots and create change. One step at a time.





Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far