Skip to main content

So…You’re Graduating From College?

Around this time last year myself and a number of my peers were decked out in our caps and gowns completing one season of our lives and stepping into another. I can’t believe it’s already been about a year since that time. My journey through college wasn’t an easy one, but I did it – I earned my B.A. in English. My degree arrived in the mail about a month later. Holding it in my hands was nice, and for a long time, I thought it would complete me. I quickly learned how silly it was to think such a thing. It’s even stranger to hear different college students claim that they’ll feel “complete” with a degree. Know this – a college degree is just a piece to an enormous puzzle in this thing called life. It’s a major accomplishment, but I promise you’ll do bigger and better things in this life. Especially if you’re one of those people who intends to leave your mark on this world. I’m blessed to have a degree, but a degree only has the value people put on it. I know what some of you might be thinking. “Easy for her to say, she’s already got her degree.” And while I do have a B.A. in English that remains framed and on my wall, and while I’m also grateful, employed, and legit enjoy what I do for a living, I went through a roller coaster ride of challenges to complete my studies. Especially my senior year. It was a huge time of transition for me academically, spiritually, and emotionally. When I read through some old journal entries and go through different photos from that time, I still can’t believe I made it through that season. A lot can happen in a year. I don’t even feel like the girl I was a year ago and hardly relate to her much these days. After college and even during, everything changes. You do. The people around you do, and you learn to adapt and adjust as you, your circumstances, and everything connected to you changes. Life after college can and will teach you much more than anything you’d ever learn in a classroom or textbook. That’s a certainty you can count on. But you’ll be okay. I’m still navigating life after college myself, and so far, things are okay. If you’re a senior graduating this year, I’m keeping you lifted in prayer and hope you take the time to celebrate. Enjoy yourself and have an incredible summer. Because after the party is over, the tides of change, uncertainty, heartbreak, disappointment, frustration, blessings, growth, and excitement will be waiting to greet you the moment you cross the stage, so grab your surfboard and get ready. The surf will have plenty of highs and lows. But ride the waves. You totally got this. Congratulations to each and every one of you. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...