Skip to main content

Sometimes, It’s Just Not Fair

Last night I sat on my bedroom floor in silence for almost two hours. I was feeling some kind of way. Angry. Frustrated. Sad. And disappointed. I got some news that sent me on an emotional downward spiral, ultimately causing a two hour relapse of sharing my unfiltered thoughts out loud, brutal honesty with God, and some social media snooping. Thankfully I was in the privacy of my bedroom, but prayer, pretending to be okay, and taking the high road wasn’t going to suffice. Not this time. I was alone with my thoughts. The news I got made me think of all the other times when unfair things happened. Then I went down the rabbit hole....
·         God, this sucks. Come on, man.
·         Why me?
·         Why them?
·         Seriously, Lord?
·         My aunt was a good person. Why did she have to die? She should be here. She had so much more living to do.
·         Why do people who don’t do right and live right always seem to prosper over those who do?
·         That girl got engaged and married. Seriously? Why and how do girls like that end up settling down? But I’m single. I did things the right way. What do I have to show for it? Is doing things the right way even worth it anymore?
·         I was a good friend. I deserved better. Their loss. I’m much better without them anyway.
·         This girl is my age and she’s battling cancer. Cancer? But God, she’s a good person and life is just beginning in your twenties.
·         And the other times of silence have been filled with tears and sobbing too heavy for words…
Then I shut my mouth. Closed the social media app. And I sat. More silence. Wow. You can really miss a lot of things that happen when you mind your own business. This is not who I am. I don’t social media snoop, anymore. I’m not that girl. I’m better than this. Lord, forgive me. I surrender… I mostly use social media as a branding tool and to casually keep in touch with different people I’ve met and known. Not to snoop and see what everyone else is up to, determine what’s fair and unfair in the lives of other people, and certainly not to covet what someone else has going on. But last night, I went down a rabbit hole I don’t desire to visit again. Don’t go down rabbit holes. They're unhealthy, unproductive, and a total waste of time. I let my emotions get the best of me. However, I won’t deny how I feel. I do struggle with fairness and how sometimes, it’s just not fair when it comes to certain people and things that happen in life. Truthfully? Other peoples’ good news can be a source of agony for you sometimes, especially if the person is someone you perceive or know to be a person of questionable character, morals, and in some extreme cases, a horrible human being. I’m a fan of the underdog. I root for the people other people discourage and put in boxes. I want to see good people win. So, when good people are overlooked, struggle, tossed aside, passed over for promotions, get the short end of the stick, or when politics proceed integrity, performance, and dedication, or when someone my age or any good person in general, battles a terminal illness, has a significant other that cheats on them and/or leaves them for someone else, struggles to conceive children and have healthy, full-term pregnancies, cope with sexual assault, domestic violence, verbal abuse, childhood trauma,  homelessness, poverty, or death? I feel some type of way. Almost every time. Every. Single. Time. Most people think like this sometimes, but would never own it. I’m not afraid to own it, write it, or say it out loud, though. I just know it’s something I’ll have to work on. It’s definitely a bitter pill to swallow. Life isn’t fair, but I take comfort in the one who holds the cards (God – just in case anyone didn’t get that.) And I choose to trust He knows what He’s doing even when I don’t like it or understand.
            

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far