Skip to main content

Disconnect to Connect

On Friday’s I stay off social media to connect with God. I began doing this a few weeks ago and noticed that when I wasn't checking my phone or concerned with what anyone else was doing, God continually dropped things in my spirit and spoke to me in ways He's likely been waiting to do without the interference of social media in my life. God may be trying to get through to you too. Can you hear Him? I enjoy social media but I want all of my readers to know that while you’re scrolling through social media and see really great photos and different milestones in other peoples’ lives, understand there are always things happening that you cannot see. The people you think or perceive to have wonderful lives also have battles, challenges, and struggles that don’t always make it (and truthfully shouldn’t) to their social media accounts. The couple who are new homeowners could be struggling with their mortgage payments, the woman posting cute pictures of her newborn baby could be up all night, every night, trying to adjust to life with a baby who has a demanding eating and sleeping schedule, the recent college graduate could be anxious about finding employment in an economy that has little to no job openings in sight, the friend that just went on a vacation might be struggling financially, the co-worker who got a new promotion could have anxiety so intense they can barely sleep through the night, the couple that just got engaged might be questioning if they’re really in love or about to ruin their life, the girl who takes stunning photos may struggle with constant doubts and insecurities, the couple who takes cute selfies may fight and argue a lot and be on the verge of a split, and the person you think “has it all” may very well have every material item and opportunity you could imagine, but is so miserable, empty, and unhappy you’d never know they’re truly lonely and chasing the wind -- see Ecclesiastes 2:11. There’s always something happening behind closed doors that you cannot see. Consider limiting the amount of time you spend on social media and instead, spend that time with the Lord. Disconnect to Connect with Him. He’s worth it.  

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...