Skip to main content

A Secret Place

A lot of people tell me their secrets. They trust me. Because I’m a trusted confidant for a number of people, I turn to God, journaling, and writing to cope with this honored yet weighty task. Galatians 6:2 reads, “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” Being trusted with other peoples’ secrets demands a level of confidentiality that shouldn’t be betrayed. Although I’m a writer that aims to be as authentic and vulnerable as possible, I still have boundaries. So as long as no one else is being harmed, endangering others, or committing a criminal act, the secrets confided to me won’t be shared. I’ve seen and heard people break other peoples trust by going public with different things that should have remained private. I maintain that even if you’re no longer in good standing with someone who’s confided in you, you shouldn’t betray or hurt that person by telling their secrets. That’s wrong and you wouldn’t want someone to do that to you. In the past, I made the mistake of opening up to people I probably shouldn’t have and now, I’m more mindful of who can be trusted and who can’t. I’m also reminded that I have a God to talk to. Often, I retreat to my own secret place. A place where it’s just me and God, that allows me to clear my head and be completely open and at peace, away from all the noise and demands of life. I find that I’m most peaceful when I’m just spending time in His presence. I pray consistently, ask Him questions, and sometimes I’m just silent and still (especially since He already knows what I’m thinking and feeling.) Psalm 46:10 reads, “Be still…” Today, I encourage anyone reading this to make and take time to just be still. God loves you and loves spending time with you. Embrace that secret place just reserved for you and Him. One of my favorite gospel singers, Karen Clark-Sheard has a beautiful song called A Secret Place (here) that’s been a reminder of this. Make time for God. He makes time for you. 


Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...