Skip to main content

The Casualties of Impulsiveness

I hate impulsiveness. It’s annoying, irresponsible, and causes problems that would’ve otherwise been avoided if sound decisions were made. Sadly, I’ve seen far too many casualties of it. Overspending. Casual hook ups. Diving into serious commitments or purchases without doing necessary research. And neglecting to obtain as much information as possible before making decisions -- just handfuls of examples of reckless and impulsive moves. Know what those kind of decisions lead to? Eviction notices. Foreclosures. Repossessions. Bankruptcy. Bad credit. Debt – financially and emotionally. Job loss. Heartache. Unplanned pregnancies. Unwanted children. Disease. Break ups. Divorce. Dysfunction. Frustration. Pain. Regret. Stress. And early graves. Not only have I witnessed the pitfalls of impulsiveness, but experiencing it in my own life has been a learning curve of what to do and what not to do as an adult. When I was a kid, I saw different adults impulsively mishandle money and how that poor decision affected everything. Overspending or charging things on credit in areas that may not have been a priority, would mean lack in another, ultimately leading to financial struggles that could've been avoided if a budget was in place. I learned the difference between wants, needs, and the benefits of delayed gratification. If you want something there needs to be a strategy to save for it, while your needs are taken care of first. Waiting and having patience for other certain desires yields better rewards, and tends to give you more value and appreciation for what you’ve waited for. Obtaining something too soon or before you're ready for it can complicate your life. Seeing impulsive spending as a child prompted me to be more of a saver vs. a spender as an adult. So, while I’m often ridiculed for being “stingy” my drive has always been to be in a position of financial independence and fiscally responsible, so that I’ll never have to struggle financially. I’ve also seen how impulsiveness has impacted the kind of men different family members and friends have chosen to date, marry, or have kids with. I’m not a big dater. I’m selective, because I’ve witnessed the consequences of impulsively accepting dates and marriage proposals from men who ultimately turned out to be disappointing suitors. I’ve seen too many women in my own family and circles of friends, who’d rather have any guy in the picture than to hold out for better. The impulsiveness of settling has prompted me to make careful and informed decisions about the kinds of guys I date and exactly who to stay as far away as possible from. There are causalities that come with impulsiveness and all those impacted by it likely feel its blows. No matter how big or small a decision is, I believe in carefully and strategically thinking about how different decisions made, can and will impact your life and your future. Think before making decisions. You can’t afford not to. 
                                                                                                           





Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...