Skip to main content

Natural Hair Diaries: Part Two

I never thought the day would come when I’d be in a wig store trying on wigs and asking a million questions about sew ins. That day arrived and it was an adventure. Because the weather was warming up and I know how natural hair can get during summer, the time for a protective style was near. I figured I could keep my hair braided under a wig. And not one single one of the wigs I tried on looked good on me. I looked a mess and decided to do some internet research. I’ve been natural since October 2014 and my hair’s been styled all kinds of ways, but over the last year I’ve been experimenting with protective styles like long braids and cornrows. But, I wanted something other than braids since I’d already done them a handful of times. I wanted to change my entire look and I wanted longer hair again, so, I went out and bought some. I scheduled an appointment with my new stylist and asked a million questions about sew ins and how to get one done. Purchasing the hair was pricey, but I was highly pleased with the results. And to my surprise it wasn’t as painful as I thought. I learned about purchasing bundles of hair, closures, and leaving out sections of my regular hair to give the extensions a more natural look – all of which felt like learning a foreign language. I just assumed different women I saw always had full and lengthy hair. I learned a lot about extensions and that many celebrities and stars on television are getting these kinds of things done to their hair as well. Those women I saw onscreen were not all born with those lengthy locks of gorgeous hair. Again, I had a lot to learn. After my hair was styled I anticipated some of my non-African American friends and colleagues to ask questions about my extended locks and I was already armed with why, yes… this is my hair. I paid for it. I know. It sounds forward. But not nearly as forward as when myself and a ton of other black women are often asked, “Is that your real hair?” I don’t think some people know how off-putting that question can come off. But these days it doesn’t bother me as much as it’s bothered some of my other black friends. I don’t mind enlightening non-African Americans about black hair. It’s a great opportunity to cultural enlighten one another. Overall, sew ins are something I’m excited to experiment with more and I can’t wait to see looks I switch up with in the future. Stay tuned. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far