Skip to main content

Losing My Religion

Hatred. Prejudice. Racism. Discouragement. Obnoxious Christian Trump supporters. Barrenness. Brokenness. Weariness. Legalism. Opposition. Setbacks. Struggles. I’ve battled and challenged all the above. I’ve had some losses and I’ve definitely had some wins. But what’s still a struggle and absolutely heartbreaking are the souls lost in the crossfire. What’s happening with believers as a whole? What has ministry turned into? More and more Christians are arguing and fighting over the wrong things, while hurting souls in need of help and healing are more broken than they were before seeking help. I desire understanding, reconciliation, and improvement. I’m going to change the game. When someone comes to me, whether Christian or not, I want them to walk away feeling the love of Christ. I’ve fellowshipped with different people in different places and walked away feeling emptier than ever before. I can’t stand that. If I’ve felt that way, I can’t imagine what those who aren’t saved must feel like sometimes. I’ve been judged for having different views, criticized about the way I dress, how I love, and for who I am. But I’m not surprised. I’ve seen how the church shuns and mistreats those who are different or fall short and it’s wrong. If we desire to be like Christ, why not act like it? In Woman Thou Art Loosed T.D. Jakes writes, “The Church frequently has, and still does, major on the minors. When that begins to happen, it’s a sign that the Church has lost touch with the world and with the inspiration of the Lord. It is no longer reaching out to the lost. A church that focuses on the external has lost its passion for souls. When we come into that position, we have attained a pseudo-holiness. It’s a false sanctity. Many of the people who were a part of the ministry of Jesus’ earthly life were people with colorful pasts.” You get that? The part about the approach Jesus had to ministry? He approached the Samaritan woman at the well. Rescued a woman caught in adultery. Reformed Paul. And yet, some believers are still preoccupied with position, politics, skin color, the way someone else dresses, who drinks alcohol and who doesn’t, who has tattoos, and other things that don’t really matter. Are losing souls that need saving worth it? I miss the days of revival, genuine fellowship, and authenticity. I hope we can get back to that. And another thing. I see a lot of young Christians pursuing college degrees in ministry, many of which are often eager, arrogant, and want to be heard, and while I’m not the authority of saying who qualifies for ministry and who doesn’t, I must warn those on that path that what you learn in textbooks and in classroom is only a minor part of what it takes to successfully thrive in ministry. You need street cred and you need to be relatable. Ministry requires being able to enter into other people’s worlds that look, think, operate, and relate differently than you do. If you can’t do that, you’re already working with a deficit. Know why you want to get in ministry first, because if God trusts you with lives, He’s looking for you to have everything you need developed in your character and spirit first. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...