Skip to main content

Keep Your Enemies Closer

To be successful you need friends. To be very successful you need enemies – Ari Gold
Everyone has enemies. And we all need them. If utilized strategically, enemies are capable of pushing you towards bettering yourself. They’re useful because having enemies is a sign you’re a force to be reckoned with and that you’re someone people are paying attention to. I can testify that those who betray you may be closer than you think. Some of my biggest foes have been ratchet family members and former friends I openly let in my life without properly screening them first. A handful of them have tried to get back in my good graces, and while I’m forgiving, I’d be a fool to trust them again – especially when I know a number of them have alliances with people who don’t like me and would try to ruin me if given the chance. If you’re a discerning person you’ll be able to tell the differences between allies and enemies in your life. One of my toughest battles has been seeing someone’s spirit when meeting them. I’ve seen both goodness and darkness in different people. The most difficult battles are with people who are wicked inside, but it doesn’t show outwardly to everyone else. It’s hard for me to unsee things like that. It’s critical to be mindful of who you confide in, associate with, and the kind of information you share. Jesus had 12 disciples and Judas was the one that flipped. Jesus already knew one of his own would betray him. However, Judas was one of the enemies that led Christ to the cross to save lives, which ultimately worked out for good. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Below, I’m sharing strategies on how to do so.
·         Pray For Them - Matthew 5:44 reads, “But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.” That’s easier said than done for many of us, but I’d like to challenge you to approach your enemies with grace. I won’t pretend that it’s easy being nice to people who aren’t nice to me, but because I’m a Christian, I’m held to a higher standard. Honoring God also means doing the right thing, no matter how horrible an enemy might be. One of the best things you can do is pray for them. You never know how God will use an enemy in your life – He may even use someone who doesn’t like you to bless you. You’ll see.  
·         Kill Them With Kindness – I can tell when someone doesn’t like me no matter how much they smile and pretend to. I can’t be fooled. The key is to play the game. Don’t allow your feelings to dictate your choices. Be kind. You are capable of being nice to everyone. Try not to take every little thing personal or be led by your emotions. Even if and when another person is rude, being kind gives you an advantage because doing so reveals that you’re capable of taking the high road no matter what.
·         When You Have the Opportunity to Be Vengeful, Don’t - If given the chance to take vengeance on an enemy, don’t. Opportunities will rise when you’ll get the upper hand and the test of your character will be what you decide to do when given that power. In my own life, I’ve had opportunities to get back at different people who’ve wronged me and while I considered taking things into my own hands, I decided not to proceed. If I proceed with revenge, God can’t. And He’s much better at it.





Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...