Skip to main content

How To Stay Safe On Dates

Dating can be exciting. It’s flattering meeting someone who wants to share their time and company with you. But while it’s great having fun, it’s also important for women to know how to stay safe on dates. Below, I’m sharing five tips on how to stay safe on dates and still have a good time. I hope any young women reading this finds these tips helpful and that any young men reading will be mindful of their boundaries and behavior on dates.
·         Meet Up – During first dates it’s best to meet up in separate vehicles. As much as I believe in old school courting where the guy picks up the girl, these days, you can never be too safe. Not everyone has great intentions – even an attractive and charming guy who could be a low-key creeper. It’s best to meet your date by your own means of transportation while things are still very new and you’re getting to know one another. You might even decide not to see the person again. If you have your own car, you can leave when you want and/or when the date ends.
·         Surroundings – Choosing to go on dates in settings that are heavily populated with other people is smart. I never recommend going to first dates at your dates own home or inviting them to yours. Again, it’s all about safety first. A charming stranger is still a stranger until proven otherwise. Additionally, text a family member and/or friend to let them know you’ll be out with someone new. This is a great thing to do as well, so someone in your inner circle knows what you’re doing and who you’re with.
·         Don’t Give Out Your Personal Address or Workplace Address – I’m amazed at young women who volunteer information to guys they go on different dates with. But because common sense seems to be in short supply these days, please know it’s not wise or safe to give out your home or workplace location to a casual date. Every situation is different, so if things get serious and you and your date become a couple, this may change, but in the beginning be selective about what you’re sharing. And pause on sending out social media follow and friend requests early on. Remember, you’re still getting to know the person you’re dating and while social media can be fun, it’s also a sneak peek into snapshots of your life. Exercise discernment before proceeding with sharing information.  
·         Avoid Alcohol – Having drinks and meeting for drinks isn’t terrible, but doing so can impair your judgment. To avoid being put in a compromising position, I vote no alcohol. You’ll want to be as alert, sober, and as mindful as possible about the kinds of decisions you’re making.
·         If In Doubt, Leave- Again, not everyone has great intentions. If you get weird vibes or start feeling uncomfortable, don’t be afraid to leave the date. And if your date gets upset or offended when you no longer wish to see them or keep in contact anymore, feel free to block their number and keep your distance. Should things get too out of hand? Don’t hesitate to contact the authorities. Unfortunately, some guys don’t handle rejection too well (even when you aim to be polite about it.) Remember, your safety comes first.
I hope these tips will serve you well. Happy dating! J




Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far