Skip to main content

God’s Woman

I love being God’s woman. He loves, challenges, and pushes me in ways like no one else. And I make it a priority to set aside quiet time for us. For me, church doesn’t begin and end only on Sunday’s. I need God 24/7. Because I’m His woman, I believe in being intentional about spending time together on a regular basis. One of the things that bother me about some single Christian women is that sometimes, they complain about singleness, pray to God for a significant other, and envy other couples without recognizing the opportunities and blessings singleness affords – specifically quality time with God. If you can’t be faithful to God first, how and why would you expect Him to bless and trust you with a significant other?  Singleness may have its highs and lows, but you have the freedom to spend as much time with God as possible. And if you are single, don’t be in a hurry to change your status too quickly. God’s not limited by age, timing, circumstances, or what your family, friends, and society suggests you should be doing. Please don’t let social media fool you. Don’t let pictures of couples, engagements, weddings, babies, and those annoying gender reveals fool you, either. Gender reveals. Ugh. I don’t believe there’s anything natural about them and I certainly don’t believe God’s design was for us to share news like that with the world. Within the circle of close family and friends? Sure. But all over social media? No way. What happened to people just having baby showers? I mean, no shade, but I think the gender reveal of your baby and sonograms are things that should be private and not shared with the public. I’m not a fan of seeing that kind of stuff on my social media and have no intention of ever jumping on that bandwagon. And lately, I’ve been thinking -- if a significant other, marriage, and having children is supposed to “complete” and “make me happy” or so myself and many young and impressionable women, especially Christian women, have been sold and told, then why do I meet so many people who have those things, yet, are utterly unhappy, lonely, complain about their significant others, finances, morning sickness, pregnancy weight, crying babies, changing diapers, and how challenging their lives are? I’m not jaded and I’m not a hater, but perhaps singleness is worth holding on to until God suggest something different. Being able to spend time with Him is an honor. And He loves when we spend time with Him. He always makes time for each and every one of us, so, single or taken, why not make time for Him too?


Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...