Skip to main content

Breadwinner

If a woman is deemed more successful than a man in regards to her economic status, some men seem to lose interest, grow jealous, petty, or even intimidated. It’s crazy but it happens. Why? Ego. The male ego. And perhaps a lot of inner insecurity – which is a major turnoff. Apparently the male ego can’t handle or be secure being with someone who is seemingly equal or more successful (granted success is a relative term) than he is. The moment I began noticing this contrast I was blown away. I’ve literally watched couples split up or a witness some women downplay their success because the guy they were in a relationship with couldn’t handle the reality of being with a woman they deemed more successful. Especially a woman that made more money than them. In some startling cases, I’ve even met and talked with very bright, intelligent, and successful young women who fear that the more successful they become, the more likely they’ll remain single. And I want to know what’s breeding this kind of culture and what can be done to change it? No woman should ever feel she has to shrink, dumb down, or live small out of fear of what a man thinks. I like to believe a real man would support his woman and her endeavors and be happy for her success. Sadly, that kind of reality seems as common as winning the lottery, and if a woman is a winner even beyond financial means, a dangerous warning has been put out that goes like this: Ladies, be careful. If you do too much and are too smart and are too successful, you’ll threaten the man and scare him away. Is this really the kind of message we want to teach up and coming generations of young women? I get that some men like to be in a position where they’re able to be a sole provider, but why can’t women rise to that level and do so unapologetically? Does it matter who’s more successful or who out earns who? When I was a little girl I always aspired to be an extraordinary and successful woman. I quickly caught on to how privileged and favored the young men were treated in my family over the young women. If one of the guys achieved at something stemming from any to everything like academic performance, sports, higher education, moving out to get their own places, and more, they were supported and praised. If one of the young women did those things or tried? There was silence. Little support. Little celebration. For many of the women in my family success was often measured by landing a man, getting a ring, married, and having children. Going towards college and great career opportunities seemed like a foreign and frowned upon idea. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got smart and hardworking women on both sides of my family, but I’ve always wanted and dreamed beyond what I’ve seen. A major part of my drive and motivation has been trying to break the cycle and systems I’ve seen, starting with myself. In Before You Do T.D. Jakes writes, “Gentlemen, you must be willing to accept the fact that she may make more money than you. She may be more educated, sophisticated, and refined. But that doesn’t mean she’s trying to turn you into her male clone. You should not be ashamed or threatened by her strengths because they will only make your own strengths sharper and stronger.” Even if some guys don’t admit it, I believe they’re uncomfortable in a dynamic where the woman is winning, because for some reason, they may think this set up makes them seem like less of a man (which isn’t the case for all women… at least not for me.) I believe if I’m successful, then that success can be shared with the guy I’m with. I’ve met guys and even casually dated some who would do really off-putting and frustrating things regarding this kind of set up. They’d do things like…
·         Instantly talk about how much money they made for a living as if that would impress me. I’m not that kind of woman. As long as you’re able to take care of yourself and making an honest living, I’m cool.
·         Think I cared about what kind of car they drove or where they lived or were from.
·         Assume I wasn’t interested because they were still in school or worked at a temporary job that merely paid the bills until they landed a position more to their liking.
·         Assume that I’m completely “put-together” not realizing there are still things I’m working at to better myself as well.
·         Get intimidated and decide I wasn’t the right girl for them without giving me a chance to assess that choice.
I already know I’m going to be the kind of woman that does well in life and I see two choices regarding being with a guy that can handle that: choose someone who’s on the same level or someone who’s doing even better. It’s disheartening to know there are men in the world that can’t handle a bread-winning woman, and women and men in different families who don’t fully celebrate and encourage girls to go higher out of fears rooted in outdated systems that are truthfully being challenged every single day.  Is change possible? Of course. Will there be more men on board with a new approach and perspective on these things? We’ll see.




Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far