Skip to main content

Because I Love You

When he told me, “Because I love you…” things started to make sense. All the ups, downs, questions and waiting all became much clearer. He loved me. He still does. My guy? He’s a keeper. God spoke to me in a special way. We were having quiet time together and I wanted to know what the delay was with a ton of prayers I felt remained unanswered. His response? “I love you too much to give you something too soon. I’m doing this because I love you.” After He said that, I immediately thought about an incident that happened when I was 13. When I was 13 and out shopping with my parents, I spotted a pair of high-heeled boots I wanted. My father offered to buy me anything I wanted that day, so naturally, I thought he’d be okay about the boots…until he wasn’t. I kept the box with the boots closed, hoping the cashier would just ring them up without my parents noticing. I should’ve known better. I knew deep down my parents likely wouldn’t approve of me, their 13 year old, wearing such adult like boots. But I tried it… and failed. The cashier opened the box. When she did, she went on and on about how cute the boots were and how she had the same ones in different colors to match her mini skirts. I now suspect the moment my mother heard mini skirts is when the boots and I would not be going home together. “Excuse me, we won’t be getting these boots” my mother said. She took one look at them and was like, nah, my 13 year old won’t be stepping out in these. When my father took a look at them he said, “I’ll get you anything else in here. But not those.” Regardless of what my parents said, I wanted those boots. They were in style and I had to have them. Only problem was that they were too grown for a 13 year old to wear. It would have been too much, too soon. On the car ride home I was extra salty and moody. I didn’t say a word to either one of my parents. My mother stood by her decision. She didn’t feel a 13 year old needed an explanation about why boots made for a grown woman was a bad idea. My dad was different. I was a bit of a daddy’s girl growing up, so as much as he didn’t want to see me disappointed, he explained why the boots were a no go. “I can’t let you leave the house wearing something like those. The other day I saw a grown man checking out a young girl walking on the sidewalk. She was dressed older than what she looked like, and he was so busy looking at her, he wasn’t paying attention on the road. She was just a young girl.” I now appreciate at 28 what I couldn’t understand at 13. My parents didn’t want me looking older than my actual age. Getting those boots at that age could potentially attract guys’ way too old for me or even worse, predators. Now that I’m grown I can wear whatever I want. But I’m also a woman now, not a 13 year old girl. My father said no to the boots at 13 because he loved me. He loved me too much to let me have something I was not yet ready for. So, if my natural father denied me a pair of adult like boots at age 13, what made me think my spiritual father, God, would give me certain things, no matter how much I wanted and prayed for them, before I was actually ready for them? Get the picture? Often, many of us want different things and may believe we’re ready for them, when really, we’re not. Some of us stubbornly go for what we want, disobey God, and do things our way only to end up making a mess of things in our lives. I now have a greater appreciation for God loving me so much that He wouldn’t dare bless me with certain things before I’m ready for them. I’ve seen the cautionary tales and consequences of different family members, friends, and even some enemies, that have obtained, forced, or manipulated different things they wanted in their lives, too soon, and how much getting what they wanted too soon has complicated their lives. I don’t want that to happen to me. What you want isn’t always what you need…especially not before you’re ready. Psalm 37:7 reads, “Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him.” If you find yourself in a wait, trust that God knows what He’s doing. It’s because He loves you. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far