Skip to main content

How’s Your Heart?

Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life – Proverbs 4:23 
I believe many women and men are reckless with their hearts. And it doesn’t always happen recklessly in the beginning. Often, people meet other people they think or perceive are great in the beginning, and without using discernment, allow their feelings to take over and let different people have access to their hearts, only to get them broken when a relationship (or what they mistake as a relationship) ends. I don’t like that. And as I reflect on Proverbs 4:23, I’m reminded of the importance of guarding the heart. Guarding your heart doesn’t make you paranoid or standoffish, it makes you smart. I don’t believe God wants us offering up our hearts to just any and everyone that comes along, yet many people still do. God wants to hold our hearts and He can fully be trusted. My prayer is that women and men will guard their hearts more carefully before pursuing and engaging in any relationships. Lord, please guard the hearts of your sons and daughters. I pray for all the men and women that are developing relationships, establishing new ones, healing from old ones, dating, courting, or in a season of growing more serious in their relationships with family or new friends. Please give us wisdom, insight, and clarity before we invest and dedicate our time to these relationships, and especially give us discernment before we share our hearts in these kinds of relationships. Thank you for your protection and unconditional love. In Jesus name I pray, amen. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...