Skip to main content

How to Ask Someone Out On A Friend Date (Without Being Awkward or Creepy)

These days asking someone out on a date can be way more complicated than it used to be. I’ve met guys who’ve wanted to go out, but have been so shy that they’ve asked via text message or through social media messages (see how technology socially handicaps?) and I’ve also met guys who’ve asked in person, but not clearly or confident enough for me to know if they were truly interested or not. I’ve even met my fair share of male and female creepers who’ve wanted to hang out as friends, that I either actively avoided, or straight up declined. So, I thought about cool ways for people to ask people out as friends, which might help ease nervousness for all parties involved. These tips aren't just for wooing potential suitors, but can be used to make new friends and find new community (which can be challenging the older you get) so below, check out three tips on how to ask someone out on a friend date without being awkward or creepy.
·         Be Open. I’ve been through different dating and friendship seasons where I felt utterly alone. I wanted to be out dating different guys and hanging with new friends, but I wasn’t being assertive about changing my situation. Being open requires getting out of your comfort zone and a willingness to get uncomfortable enough for different things you’d like to experience. Be willing to be open and vulnerable with different people God may be putting in your path. This world is so big, unique, and filled with a lot of people, some of which are waiting to meet someone as cool as you.
·         Find Common Interests. A lot of different people I’ve met were people I shared some differences with, but mostly a handful of common interests. Common interests make great conversation starters and can help forge new bonds with great people. Any and everything from music, movies, restaurants, travel, and more can be considered common interests that connect you with new friends.
·         Just Ask. This might be one of the most challenging of the three tips because a lot of people are scared of rejection. I get it. When I was teenager I used to be bold enough to ask guys out that I liked. Almost all of them turned me down, avoided me, and never liked me back. But I never had to wonder what if? I’ve turned down my share of suitors as well, but when you’re honest and upfront, no matter who is turning down whom, everyone can move on. The same thing would happen when I wanted to be friends with girls that wanted nothing to do with me. If rejected, I could move on to people who were more open and accepting to build a friendship If you meet someone interesting, ask them if they’d like to hang out sometime. If they say no or show disinterest, respect their wishes and move on to people waiting to meet someone as awesome as you J Hope you find these tips helpful!




Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far