Skip to main content

Confessions of a PK

When I was a teenager and learned that my dad was grooming to become a pastor, I wasn’t thrilled. I was 13 at the time and both of my parents were heavily involved in ministry. The church we were at was going through a challenging season of major transition, and when my parents decided it was time to move forward elsewhere, I knew I didn’t want the title Pastor’s Kid attached to my name. I’d already seen a number of different pastor’s kids that were facing challenges because of the role their parents held in the church, and I noticed that those same kids often lived their lives through the microscope and scrutiny of other church members and anyone else who knew who their parents were. Fortunately my younger brother and I turned out fine, but for a long time our parent’s roles in church was something I preferred to stay quiet about. During my periods of silence, it was funny to hear some of the different and ridiculous things some people said about PK’s. Because while there’s truth to some of what’s said, there are often many misconceptions. And from my experience, I don’t mind sharing my truths, challenging the misconceptions, and sharing some of the special moments I’ve had with God during my time as a PK.
·         Truths - Ask any PK and I bet many of them will tell you we’re often closely watched, because of the role our parents have in ministry. We are reflections of our parents. That said, anything we say or do can either compliment or embarrass them.  The embarrassing moments tend to be the things others like to bring up. During different seasons of my life I’ve made embarrassing choices and mistakes that I had to clean up, go to my parents about, and seek God for forgiveness because of my actions. Everyone messes up, makes foolish choices, and learns from them. It’s good to get to the point of knowing and doing better.
·         Misconceptions - Contrary to popular belief not all PK’s are goody two-shoes by day and party animals by night. I have had a taste of that life and know some PK’s that have as well. Some still party, but for me, being torn between leading two lives made me feel bad, convicted, and was contradicting to who I was as a believer. I remember my first time going to a bar and feeling so out of place, I could barely enjoy it. My spirit was kicking into gear and screaming, you’re not supposed to be here! Long story short…my partying was short-lived. Another misconception is that PK’s want to be pastor’s too. I know I’m called to ministry, but not necessarily in the way my parents have been called. I spoke my first sermon a year ago at my parent’s church and it was challenging. I’ve seen the highs and lows they’ve been through in ministry as a couple, and with being on “call” 24/7. That life is not for the faint of heart, which is why I believe God specifically calls people to it who can handle it. Another misconception is in regards to marriage and choosing spouses. Some common behaviors I’ve noticed are PK’s who choose significant others completely opposite of their lifestyle, with the belief that they can change and reform the person. That approach rarely works or lasts… which is why scripture specifically instructs believers not to be unequally yoked with non-believers (see 2 Corinthians 6:14) On the other hand, many people may think PK’s desire marriage to someone in ministry. And while I know a ton of Christian women who desire marriage with pastors or any guy with a high role in ministry, that’s not me. Honestly, I’ve actively avoided dating guys in ministry and specifically pastors, because I’ve never been the type fascinated by a guy because of his role in church. To each their own, though.
·         Special Moments With God - I’ve been saved since I was seven and continue to have special moments with God. The first was the day I accepted Christ in my heart and life. Another time was when I was baptized at church camp one summer, and another time was when I gained a deeper understanding of worship (I didn’t fully understand worship until my mid 20s.) And as I enter into my late 20s, I’m feeling my way into ministering with women and still leaning into how that will grow. PK’s are special. While I was upset about how my parent’s roles might impact my way of life and our family, turns out, I had nothing to be upset about. Sure, my family has endured many challenges, highs, lows, and an abundance of continual blessings, but it’s good to know that God’s been there through it all and faithfully continues to do so. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far