Skip to main content

Non-Fatal Attraction

In the popular 90s series Sex and the City there was an episode titled Bay of Married Pigs in which Carrie Bradshaw and her close friends, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda were discussing the dynamics between singles vs. couples. The conversation went like this:
Charlotte: I hate it when you’re the only single person at a dinner party and they look at you like you’re a…
Carrie: Loser. 
Miranda: Leper.
Samantha: Whore. Face it ladies, if you’re still single, you are not to be trusted.
I recalled this particular episode after experiencing a similar encounter. As a single woman, some encounters I’ve experienced came from guys that have been spoken for, along with icy glares from their significant others. What’s made me feel odd is the fact that I could ever make someone feel that uncomfortable. I respect other people’s relationships and if I know that a guy is already spoken for (girlfriend, fiancée, wife) I’m friendly, but mindful to keep my distance. I mean this in the most humble and non-narcissistic way, but I already know I’m an attractive woman, which means people will stare. I don’t believe there’s anything wrong with finding someone attractive so as long as you’re not crossing any boundaries. In Matt Chandler’s The Mingling of Souls he writes, “There is nothing wrong with this process of being physically attracted to someone. It’s completely natural.” However, I don’t appreciate myself or other single women who’ve been in similar situations being treated like the plague because we’re both attractive and single. From my personal experiences, I can always tell when guys that are spoken for feel bad or guilty about this because they usually do one of the following:
·         Act very indifferent.
·         Obnoxious avoidance.
·         Are over the top in conversations about their girlfriend, fiancée, or wife.
·         Publicly announce how they won’t strike up conversations or engage with other women out of respect for their significant other.
As a single woman, I know my place. And I know there are attractive men and women all over the world whom are single or already spoken for. I wouldn’t dare put myself or someone else in a compromising situation, but my stance on attraction is that it isn’t a bad thing or anything to feel guilty about. If someone treats me badly or tries to shame me for being single and attractive, quite frankly, that’s their problem, and I won’t make it mine. Surely us singles and couples can respectfully coexist, can’t we?
And on a final note -- Since us singles and couples must coexist together, I have some words I’d like to share with many of you couples when it comes to some of us who are single. First, we don’t need your pity, sympathy, and shameful, aw, why are you still single, questions, looks, suggestions, and set ups with people we’d likely have zero interest in. Unless we volunteer information to you or request your suggestions or opinions, please keep them to yourself. Second, how we spend, save, and budget our money is none of your business. I’ve personally been shamed by some married people who’ve rudely called me selfish and tried to make me feel bad or guilty for the luxuries I’m able to experience and afford that they aren’t able to, because they have a significant other and/or children, which I imagine are expensive once one’s lifestyle changes, however, the same way singles shouldn’t concern themselves with how couples spend their money, is the same way couples should stay in their lane about how single people spend theirs. And finally, the same way many of you couples are celebrated for getting a ring, having a wedding, and/or having a baby, respect the fact that us singles have the right to celebrate ourselves, too, and that our accomplishments and successes in life are just as worthy of celebration. Thank you. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far