Skip to main content

Microphone Check

I stood up to you and you tried to destroy me. When I stand up for myself and for others afraid to speak, I’m viewed as a threat that must be silenced and destroyed, right? Wrong. I was scared, but I spoke up anyway. Taking the high road isn’t always easy when it comes to people like you. I know you tried to poison my name to others, and eventually those others learned the things you said about me weren’t true. Trying to destroy me was never going to make you more powerful. It only magnified that you were wrong about me all along. But I forgive you. When I tried to get help, I felt outnumbered. That was lonely, massively painful, and scary. Know what happens when people are scared of people like you? They stay silent. What's troubling is that often, when things like this happen, many people will watch you get attacked and say nothing. I forgive them, though. And I still forgive you. For awhile I thought something was wrong with me because you thought I didn’t belong when really you were the one with the problem. People like you… people like you… people like you are the reason why people stay away from churches and avoid the Christian community all together. I’ve seen people crying in secret and heard the stories people are afraid to bring forward. It’s incredible how horrible things can happen in beautiful places. I still forgive you, though.
But it wasn’t just you…
To the one who criticized my clothing
To the one who publically humiliated me
To the one who looked me in the face and pretended I wasn’t there
To the one who got jealous and stopped talking to me when the guy choose me, instead of her
To the one I was supposed to build with that never followed through
To the one who looked down on me
To the ones who were supposed to be my friends
To the ones I thought were my friends
To the people in places I went to for sanctuary that were scarring
And to all the ones who think and claim I embarrass the Kingdom… I forgive you all.
I don’t want an apology and I don’t need one. I’ve made my peace. I just don’t want what happened to me to happen to anyone else. I don’t have anything to prove to you or anyone else. I never did. I still have value. And most importantly, I know who I am. I won’t let people like you steal my joy, kill my spirit, or make me believe there still isn’t goodness in this fallen world. There’s enough room for all kinds of people to sit at the table, even when people like you don’t think so. I stayed quiet, held back, and was afraid to breathe a word about this. But I know my God and I don’t have to choose fear. I choose freedom. 
-You didn’t ruin me. 






Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...