Skip to main content

Grad School?

I recently had a dream I was accepted into grad school. When I woke up I thought, well, that was weird. When I graduated from college with a Bachelor’s degree in English I thought my education was complete. While working through undergrad I felt something nudging at me about grad school, and thought, it’s taken me almost eight years to finish a Bachelor’s degree, why would I go to grad school? A number of my peers were already planning to attend grad school after undergrad and I was encouraged to do the same. The only thing was, I saw no need for a Master’s degree. I perceived an additional degree as more of a decoration. Especially because at the time, I wasn’t certain what I’d get a Master's in, along with people claiming a Master’s degree would be a good look. One day, a respected colleague pulled me aside for a talk about this. She asked, “Have you thought about grad school?” “Yes,” I replied. “But not right now. I just graduated this past spring." She looked at me with a smile and said, “You can take a year off before you start. I wouldn’t say this to you if I didn’t believe you could do it, but you should consider doing your Master’s.” When she said that, it did something to me. It’s amazing how someone who barely knows you can see your potential even when you don’t sometimes. Still, I’m not completely convinced that a Master’s is necessary for me. I’m blessed and incredibly grateful to have a college degree, but I’m definitely not the type to boast and brag about it, or crave an additional degree because it would look or sound good to others.  I’ve met plenty of degree snobs that are highly intelligent, but severely lacking in the area of common sense. You can have as many degrees as you want, but if you’re not street smart, too, or pursuing a degree or additional degrees for the right reasons, you may find yourself facing challenges your academics never prepared you for. I’ve also met humble college graduates, who rarely, if ever, bring up the fact that they have a degree or multiple degrees. Humble college graduates have an understanding that a degree does not define who they are as a person, but is merely a reflection of their hard work and intellectual capabilities. I’ve found that many people who have a warped perception and level of arrogance about having a college degree are often not as smart as they think, and typically not liked by a lot of people. Because while being highly educated is nice and can set you apart in positive ways,  it’s important to remember that a degree doesn’t make you better or more qualified than anyone else in this life, especially if you’re a bragger and an arrogant, education snob.  It’s scary that a lot of people don’t get that. Not everyone has to go to college, or even grad school, but I believe it’s great having those kinds of options and opportunities. After all, no one can ever take your education away from you. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...