Skip to main content

Grad School?

I recently had a dream I was accepted into grad school. When I woke up I thought, well, that was weird. When I graduated from college with a Bachelor’s degree in English I thought my education was complete. While working through undergrad I felt something nudging at me about grad school, and thought, it’s taken me almost eight years to finish a Bachelor’s degree, why would I go to grad school? A number of my peers were already planning to attend grad school after undergrad and I was encouraged to do the same. The only thing was, I saw no need for a Master’s degree. I perceived an additional degree as more of a decorationEspecially because at the time, I wasn’t certain what I’d get a Master's in, along with people claiming a Master’s degree would be a good look. One day, a respected colleague pulled me aside for a talk about this. She asked, “Have you thought about grad school?” “Yes,” I replied. “But not right now. I just graduated this past spring." She looked at me with a smile and said, “You can take a year off before you start. I wouldn’t say this to you if I didn’t believe you could do it, but you should consider doing your Master’s.” When she said that, it did something to me. It’s amazing how someone who barely knows you can see your potential even when you don’t sometimes. Still, I’m not completely convinced that a Master’s is necessary for me. I’m blessed and incredibly grateful to have a college degree, but I’m definitely not the type to boast and brag about it, or crave an additional degree because it would look or sound good to others.  I’ve met plenty of degree snobs that are highly intelligent, but severely lacking in the area of common sense. You can have as many degrees as you want, but if you’re not street smart, too, or pursuing a degree or additional degrees for the right reasons, you may find yourself facing challenges your academics never prepared you for. I’ve also met humble college graduates, who rarely, if ever, bring up the fact that they have a degree or multiple degrees. Humble college graduates have an understanding that a degree does not define who they are as a person, but is merely a reflection of their hard work and intellectual capabilities. I’ve found that many people who have a warped perception and level of arrogance about having a college degree are often not as smart as they think, and typically not liked by a lot of people. Because while being highly educated is nice and can set you apart in positive ways,  it’s important to remember that a degree doesn’t make you better or more qualified than anyone else in this life, especially if you’re a bragger and an arrogant, education snob.  It’s scary that a lot of people don’t get that. Not everyone has to go to college, or even grad school, but I believe it’s great having those kinds of options and opportunities. After all, no one can ever take your education away from you. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far