Skip to main content

Body, Mind, Spirit

It’s a new year and a great time to be mindful about being and staying healthy. Our bodies, minds and spirits are our individual responsibility to take care of and today I’m sharing some helpful tips on how you can do so. Enjoy!
Body - I’d be lying if I said I love working out. I really have to push myself at times because it’s easy to be like, nah, I’m good. But if you want a great and healthy body, you’ve got to stick to a good workout routine. I usually work out 3x’s a week for at least 35 minutes per workout. In my line of work I do a lot of sitting, so some days I feel sluggish and know I need to exercise. I love my body, but whenever I get that sluggish feeling I know I’ve got to get moving. The fall and winter months aren’t excuses to slack off. I believe if you’re good to your body it’ll be good to you. Even if you just do something like take brisk walks, make sure you’re setting aside time to be active. Your body will thank you. What you’re eating also plays a major role in your health. I count calories and aim to keep things healthy (along with some cheat days where I eat whatever I want guilt free) but lately I’ve been experimenting with green smoothies. I know they’re super trendy right now, but after doing a smoothie challenge I thought they were delicious and beneficial enough to make a regular part of my diet. I’ve also experienced the perks from green smoothies, like getting my fruit and veggie intake on a regular basis, boosted energy, and glowing skin. If you want to give them a try I suggest starting off with water, fat free vanilla yogurt, kale, and bananas -- they mix well together. 
Mind – The mind is one of the most powerful things each of us has. Feeding it with knowledge and beneficial information is important. Instead of being glued to our technology and constantly plugged into our devices, stepping away from those things and picking up a great book or going outdoors, spending time with loved ones, and being present are ways we can feed our minds with positivity. A few months ago I pulled back on my social media usage and learned that between working and writing full time, I really didn’t want to waste valuable time and didn’t have a lot of time to be on social media like I used to. There’s nothing wrong with utilizing technology so as long as it’s being used in positive and valuable ways. Just be mindful of what you’re feeding your mind on a regular basis.
Spirit – I’m a Christian and my relationship with the Lord is number one. Making sure that I’m spiritually fed is non-negotiable. Activities like fellowship with my church, actively spending time studying the word, meditation, prayer, and one of my personal favorites, having quiet time, all help keep my spirit in check.
Remember to prioritize your health. Take care of your body, mind and spirit. Also, be sure you’re seeing a physician for regular health check-ups. Ladies should be seeing a gynecologist, and everyone should be seeing a physician for annual physicals and scheduling annual dentist cleanings. It’s important to prioritize yourself and your health. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far