Skip to main content

No Pain, No Gain

“I used to be like you. All positive and stuff,” she said. “But people hurt me, even people I loved, and I let it make me bitter. Now I’m an angry, bitter woman.” The woman that said this to me was an old colleague. I already knew she was bitter, because it often showed. She was almost always negative, nasty, rude, and mean and as awful as she was towards me and others, I felt sorry for her. Because after she shared that life had dealt her a lousy hand, she chose to let it make her bitter. Little did she know that as positive as she perceived me to be, I too, know the pain of being hurt like her, even by people I love and who said they loved me. I can identify with the weights, silent screams, and heartache of carrying pain from:
Put downs.
Shaming.
Guilt.
Rejection.
Conditional love.
Manipulation.
Betrayal.
Abuse – physical and verbal.
And as painful as these things are, I refuse to opt for bitterness, or to go through life not trusting people or being open to love, because of bad things that happened. I’ve suffered in dark places no one on the surface would ever know about unless I told them, fallen apart, did the work (and continue to do the work) of getting pieced back together and heal, and along the way managed pretending I was fine. It’s okay to not be okay, and I don’t think a lot of people understand that. No one has it all together. You have a right to be angry, sad, and upset when you’re hurt, but don’t allow what or who hurt you to imprison you. If you want freedom, you have to forgive people. Even when you don’t want to, and I know that’s not easy to do. What’s helped me is recognizing that hurt people, hurt people, whether it’s intentional or not. People are flawed. Everyone is flawed, imperfect, and makes mistakes, no matter who they are, and at any moment, the imperfect people in your life are capable of hurting and disappointing you. You’ve probably hurt people too, and are in need of forgiveness as well. Forgive others and forgive yourself. An important thing to know about forgiveness, though, is that it doesn’t always require reconciliation or means that you’re unforgiving if you decide not to reconcile with someone who hurt you. Depending on what happened between you and those you need to forgive, it may not be healthy or safe to be in each other’s lives again. Every situation is different, but it’s wise to pray on it before you consider reconciling. But I challenge you to do yourself a solid, and forgive those you need to forgive and release them from debts you feel owed. It will set you free.
“And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” – Mark 11:25

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far